Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Opeler
1,463 Posts
Probably a 113,000 mile car. Completely reupholstered and the brake and clutch pedal cover pads are highly worn.
Very nice in appearance though!

·
Vendor
2,780 Posts
I like it too. Black always looks good on the GTs, even though it was never offered by Opel. The slotted wheels and lettered tires, along with the aftermarket bullet mirrors give it a real period correct vibe. I'd like to peek underneath that dash cover though. Probably will need to be redone. I'm also surprised that they didn't go with a new steering wheel when he replaced the shift knob and boot since the OEM one has the usual cracks. I would need to see some documentation on the mileage since it seems unlikely that the odometer hasn't rolled over. After all, if he did drive it from Oregon, he just added 1000 of those miles.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Black always looks good on the GTs, even though it was never offered by Opel.
I've never seen one in person, and I know it's hard to get that to show on camera, but I've always thought that black hides the shape of the GT. Without light and shadows to show of that it's not just an egg-shaped vehicle, my impression is that it comes off rather blah. Different strokes for different folks but I wonder if that translates in person or if it's just a photographic thing.

·
Vendor
2,780 Posts
I've never seen one in person, and I know it's hard to get that to show on camera, but I've always thought that black hides the shape of the GT. Without light and shadows to show of that it's not just an egg-shaped vehicle, my impression is that it comes off rather blah. Different strokes for different folks but I wonder if that translates in person or if it's just a photographic thing.
Not sure, but I often wondered why Opel chose not to do a black GT when they offered that color in other models. I am partial to black cars in general, and my friend Paul had a black 1969 GT that I thought looked really sharp.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with Matt about mid range colors showing shape and form more than dark or light colors. But I've noticed, being of moderately advanced age, that with the increasing use of clear coats and super shiny paint jobs that the reflections do more than the color to hide the shape.

Consider an older 60s/70s type of paint that wasn't so shiny to begin with. Take a little gloss out of the new paint and they look better to me.
Or even a nice hotrod satin black...not flat black.

·
Registered
704 Posts
with the increasing use of clear coats and super shiny paint jobs that the reflections do more than the color to hide the shape.
I'd just noticed that about the one in the post above yours. It's so glossy all I see is reflection, no subtle shadow.

Reflections are their own kind of thing to appreciate, but I like them more in boxy or modern cars where you have large mostly-flat surfaces that are so boring they need something to break up the appearance. On a car with smooth curves, it does the opposite, it hides the shape that you do want to show off.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm definitely biased, but really like the GT in black. I've been asked several times if it's a new car --not sure why really because come on--but it's timeless in black with chrome.
GT.jpg

·
Detritus Maximus
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The very first Opel I had was a black GT. It looked great even with bad paint. Something that made it even more interesting was that a previous owner deleted all the bumpers. The front pinchweld/flange normally hidden by the bumper had been blended to the body with bondo. Same for covering the rear bumper mounting holes. A black GT without rear bumpers looks really cool with just the chrome taillight rings and the dual tip exhaust.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts