Just what that says. asking $6500.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I do like the blue

·
Registered
645 Posts
This seems to be an early 1,1 GT. It still has the wood-grain vinyl on the console. And the original padded ash tray also.
In image 7 note a small weatherstrip above the upper door hinge. I asked about that 'rare' part which my GT originally had
and that I had seen in a picture of someones car on this site. Norbert responded that that weatherstrip was only installed
on the earliest GTs, and I think he gave an approximate production date and VIN . Probably in 'rarest part' forum.
....Norbert was a human encyclopedia of Opel knowledge, right down to obscure trivia...... we miss him.
00e0e_ai6q9lEGXUH_0CI0t2_1200x900 (2).jpg

Here is a shot of that vinyl piece removed from my '69.
DSCN7040 - Copy (2).JPG

·
Registered
249 Posts
Another 12K to 15K and lots and lots of personal hours and someone will have a great car. While it is low mileage that GT has not aged well, looks like it has been an outdoor GT for most of it's life. However I am no expert - just my opinion and we know what they say about that. Good Luck to both the seller and buyer....

·
Registered
249 Posts
Opelspyder are you sure about that - I only ask because I was the second owner of my 1970 Opel GT which I purchased in July of 1972 and it did not have a wood grain panel or a padded ashtray, never knew about the padded ashtray until this article. Seems unlikely that the PO changed those things out in the two years he owned it, but again I have not been around many other GT, I just know mine very well after 48 years but we all know - stranger things have happened. I know I had seen the wood grain before but always assumed that it was just the owner using wood grain contact paper to achieve that look - never knew the GT came like that. No doubt that your experience is greater but just thought I should mention it.....

·
Opel Key Master
5,071 Posts
Most of my cars I have owned were 1970 models. I’ve pulled those items out of those cars, but it goes either way. Here is a 1970 model with later ashtray, and no metal panel, but then it has the 69 headlight handle

This is an unmolested GT with low miles
Then here is an early 70 model with the parts, a white with red interior

This car has an early 69 style instrument panel in it. Both of these cars had a rubber steering wheel in the simulated leather. It’s not a rule it has to be either way, just saying it wasn’t a 69 only thing, and not stating all 70s have it too. Over the years I have seen things on one year that wasn’t supposed to be changed until the next year, like horn locations and such. Also this 1.1 car above does not have a painted black booster support. Was said all 69 models had it that way.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My 70 GT had a rubber steering wheel that had the typical grips/notches all the way around, however was not simulated leather - the rubber material over time just started coming off in my hands primarily where I held it. I later wrapped it to replace the missing rubber areas and purchased a leather steering cover which I painstakingly hand stitched on to the wheel - it was a long process but turned out pretty well. I have the sliding ashtray however there is a metal plate that covers that whole area, the the ash tray fits into, that appears to be missing in your picture-the metal plate would be at the same height as the plastic trim around the shiftier boot so it would be flat as opposed to different levels as your picture indicates. I covered both of those pieces with vinyl. Interesting....Thanks, Carl

1 - 10 of 10 Posts