Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally pulled out the huge dent in the rear panel of my 69 GT and was considering returning it to the factory color (JJ or rallye red). The rear panel had been painted black by a PO. I stumbled across this website for a company in San Diego called Auotcolorlibrary that can mix the original Opel colors. Here is what I found for the 69 GT. Listed under “Buick” of course. Not cheap at $109/qt.

Anybody ever use them?

I am leaning towards keeping the rear panel black. Long ago I decided I didn’t have the money to do anything but embrace the car’s patina!

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
699 Posts
Matt , I have no experience with this paint company so can't comment directly.

The real problem is that even if that new paint matches perfectly what your GT
looked like in 1969 your original or even repaint has faded, and most reds fade
more than other colors. So even original paint preserved in a can from 1969
would need to be tinted to match the color on your car now.

This is the case with any car a year or two old , not only Opel GTs 50 years old

·
Administrator
10,238 Posts
I brought the gas filler door from my '84 Senator to a local auto body supply shop where they took a picture of it and used that to perfectly match the color. I even had them make a 'rattle can' for touch-ups.

·
Opeler
3,103 Posts
COVID-19 Updates:
"Our Store is Closed. For purchases, please use our website. Thank you."
Posted on February 18, 2021

Looks like they want to accomplish all of their purchases via internet and PayPal for now.
Yelp reviews show that people either love them or unhappy with them.
Years ago, I visted TCP Global (Auotcolorlibrary), and counter person did not want to answer questions. Maybe he was busy or ?
Will shop or visit after COVID restrictions are loosened in Calif.

Enjoyed looking at their library of colors. Thanks for the link.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts