Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever had a clear coat not stick to the base coat when re-painting there opel, i took my gt to a very good place to have it painted they painted it with every thing off of it and with no windows in it, so when i got it back i had to re-install everything bassicly well during this process i nicked a few spots on the paint, so i took it back to my paint guy to have him fix the spots i had dinged, he calls me up a day later and says the clear coat didnt adhere to the base coat, and that they will have to sand all the clear and most of the base off and re-paint it. soo i have to remove every thing again so they can re-do it for me for free. never heard of a clear coat not sticking though. also if u install the windshield is there any way to remove it with out cutting the seal since i will be needing to remove both windows??

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
if you take the crome plastic strip out you can push the window out from the inside but you will have to be very carefull as you can crack the screen
start from the middle bottom and work around both sides
ps have help to stop it from poping out, hitting the hood and getting damaged

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Strange???

A couple of things can cause clear coat adhesion problems:
1) paint system incompatibility i.e. putting urethane clear coat over two pot reaction lacquer base coat.
2) silicone polish - if some helpful soul polished the base coat with a silicone based polish before the clear coat was sprayed on then it would have no hope of adhering.

Removal of the front screen:
1) remove the filler strip
2) lube the rubber with liquid soap - paint it on with a brush and use a steel ruler to "open up" the chanel that the glass lives in.
3) have two people - one eah side of the car - to catch the screen
4) use your feet to apply pressure to the inside of the screen.
5) be very careful!!

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i talked to the guy who did the paint job and he said that he had only seen this happen on 1 other car and hes painted 100's of cars he said possibley waiting to long to put it on or something like that, well about the windows i have the gt/j rubber in which doesnt use the little chrome strip do i jus follow same procedure??? thanx for the help on how to remove the windows i didnt want to have to buy new rubber.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
More Difficult!

Hmmmm..... You do like to make life difficult for yourself :eek:

It may be better and safer in that case to leave the screen in and carefully mask it to the edge of the rubber - your painter should be able to roll the outer edge of the rubber back a little and just get under the edge if he is real good. Frankly, it is his problem and he should have the screen professional removed and reinstalled - probably be covered by his shop liability cover, incase of breakage. Try him and see - above all don't dispare. The prize is a nice new paint job!

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yah i think he may be getting someone to proffesinoaly remove it but i just wanted to no what the procedure would be if i hadd to do it myself. thats what he said he wanted to do is just pull it back and paint under the rubber but since the whole reason i got it painted with nothing on the car was so everything would get painted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts