Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
4,976 Posts
Driving up Mt Washington tomorrow in my M4. No speed records though.

·
Senior Contributor
4,976 Posts
100 mph winds yesterday at the summit. We held off until today.

·
Senior Contributor
4,976 Posts
It will be cool at the top. Chilly start to the day at lower levels.
Yes it was. 25 Deg. with the wind chill. Driving up gives you a whole new appreciation for what Dwayne encountered in the rain and also what the top racers accomplish without driving off the mountain. If you have not watched this you are missing a great video. The really bad part was that on the way up my car came up with a message that the key was bad and not communicating and that "Car start is not possible", got to love new technology. So here I am at the top of the mountain and I am afraid to turn the car off. My wife refused to leave the car running, which I would have, and go up the steps to the summit so I went up by myself for about 2 minutes while she sat in the car. From that point on I never shut the car off until we were home in the garage 6 hours later. I never had this problem before in any of my bimmers so I was not familiar with the issue, although the message that the key was bad would still make me nervous even though I now know that even with the battery taken out you can still start the car if you hold the key up against the steering column. Putting a new battery in the key made the message go away and all is good, but that is a nasty message. I guess it comes up with that if the battery is totally dead. This is a good reason to travel with both keys if you are going to be far from home.

Reactions: jlthunder

·
Registered
839 Posts
Your key issue happened to my wife with her Sonata which has keyless everything. It was just the battery in the FOB but she was stranded until her cousin's husband rescued her by finding the secret port in the center console.

You must have had a great view as it was clear yesterday. Lucky you didn't hit snow.:)

·
Kick a little asphalt
1,483 Posts
Yes it was. 25 Deg. with the wind chill. Driving up gives you a whole new appreciation for what Dwayne encountered in the rain and also what the top racers accomplish without driving off the mountain. If you have not watched this you are missing a great video.
That mountain is no joke, for sure. Glad you got an opportunity to experience it.

Duane

Reactions: timemachine

·
Senior Contributor
4,976 Posts
That mountain is no joke, for sure. Glad you got an opportunity to experience it.

Duane
UhOH, spelled your name wrong :ugh: Duane, sorry about that chief

Reactions: opelgtguy

·
Senior Contributor
4,976 Posts
I remember driving up to the summit in my '69 Camaro. Going up wasn't too bad, but scary brake fade on the way down!
The engine braking in 1st gear in my M4 was so good I didn't need to use the brakes much at all unless someone was passing us on the way up. There were some spots when I had to go into second to keep the car moving fast enough. I would have driven faster both up and down but my wife was a little concerned when she was looking over the edge :ugh:. Had to keep her happy :veryhappy

·
Administrator
10,047 Posts
The engine braking in 1st gear in my M4 was so good I didn't need to use the brakes much at all unless someone was passing us on the way up. There were some spots when I had to go into second to keep the car moving fast enough. I would have driven faster both up and down but my wife was a little concerned when she was looking over the edge :ugh:. Had to keep her happy :veryhappy
My Camaro was a 327 with auto. Not much engine braking there. My passenger was more than a little concerned... She was constantly harping in my ear and all of a sudden she went silent. She must have sensed that I was ready to open her door and give a shove!

·
Super Moderator
13,483 Posts
Just bumping this to the top. The 'Climb to the Clouds' Mount Washington Hillclimb returns for 2017. Dates are Friday - Sunday, July 7 - 9, 2017.

Website with information about the event is here. Subaru Mt. Washington Hillclimb - Mount Washington Auto Road, Gorham NH

Our esteemed Opeler, Duane Foley, is entered and accepted to race again in this invitational event, with his 280+ hp supercharged 1971 Opel Ascona.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts