Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1972 Opel GT stored in my brother in law's shed in Monroe Wisconsin. Its Orange, no significant body damage (or was repaired before I got it in 1986)

Its been stored there about 25 years, not running, had critters get in a tear up the inside so needs lots of work. BUT it was a California car and not driven in midwest winters. I drove it here from CA back in 1991 and shortly there after stored it away with great intentions.

I need to get it out of the shed and just about to donate this to charity who will come pick it up.

If you are SERIOUSLY interested in the car AND have the ability to COME GET IT on an agreed date, you can have it BUT time is of the essence as I'd like to get rid of it this week.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much are you asking for it? Or is it free for pickup??

Any body issues at all? I noticed it has a sunroof installed. Do you know when? Any leaks?
Free unless your offering more :) I had the sunroof put in in about 1986... didn't leak then or up to 1991 and has been in covered shed since 91 so I doubt there's any rust (but haven't looked)

No body issues that I know of but I do think at one time there must have been some body work done on the driver side front area near the running light as the body line there seems a bit off. It was that way when I bought it used in 1986 and still looks fine now but probably some bondo under there.

There was no rust when I put it in the shed and no obvious signs of rust anywhere now but I have not crawled under it to look. the shed is dry (I keep my boat in there and its fine) but does have critters so the car has animal poop on it and likely some critters living inside it. I haven't opened the engine bay, the engine ran fine in 1991 but who knows now. the transmissions was sketchy in 4th gear when I put it away... so that needs work I'm sure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a pic of the driver side front. See how the running light has a larger / no uniform gap? I supspect someone before me had a repair there but it never caused me any issue and the paint there was fine so never touched it myself.

·
Registered
547 Posts

Y'know....

I've spent a year restoring my car, to a point that is... probably still not yet as good as this car. And I had to drive just as far to get it. And I paid for it :p

I'll ask around the local guys, it's a bit far to pick up, but maybe someone wants to make the trip.

·
Opeler
137 Posts

I've got a 1972 Opel GT stored in my brother in law's shed in Monroe Wisconsin. Its Orange, no significant body damage (or was repaired before I got it in 1986)

Its been stored there about 25 years, not running, had critters get in a tear up the inside so needs lots of work. BUT it was a California car and not driven in midwest winters. I drove it here from CA back in 1991 and shortly there after stored it away with great intentions.

I need to get it out of the shed and just about to donate this to charity who will come pick it up.

If you are SERIOUSLY interested in the car AND have the ability to COME GET IT on an agreed date, you can have it BUT time is of the essence as I'd like to get rid of it this week.
I'm interested and have sent you a message through the "conversation" tab.

·
Opeler
168 Posts

i am also interested. If it isn’t spoken for, let me know. I am in milwaukee

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I so glad to see someone take Matt up on his generous offer.. I was worried that I would have to call my daughter in Elkhorn and tell her I need her to store this Opel until I can come & get it. The fact that it is a rust free Calif . car means a great deal . Good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
no one has confirmed they want it yet so still avail for FREE (or pictures of you enjoying it once you have her going again :) ). Really ideal for me if we can get someone to pick it up this Friday as I am in Chicago area and have to drive up to meet you. I can make other time work but I need to make peace with my wife and Brother in law here (30 years of storage has wore out my welcome!)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts