Opel GT Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Opeler
168 Posts
SO glad to hear this!
My wife is currently rebuilding her 71 GT and we're in the thick of it now. Here's hoping they both get back on the road soon :)
SO glad to hear this!
My wife is currently rebuilding her 71 GT and we're in the thick of it now. Here's hoping they both get back on the road soon :)
Tomorrow the hose comes out and hopefully a jewel shines underneath. Looks like the animals ate well as most of the wiring is eaten away under the hood and interior is chewed on as well. I have the wrecked Gt as a donor car,
So no worries there. Will have to replace seal on the sunroof as a little chunk came off when i slowly opened it. Curiosity made me see if it would open. I will see if i can post some pics after the wash.

Reactions: kevinfier

·
Über Genius
8,960 Posts
Tomorrow the hose comes out and hopefully a jewel shines underneath. Looks like the animals ate well as most of the wiring is eaten away under the hood and interior is chewed on as well. I have the wrecked Gt as a donor car,
So no worries there. Will have to replace seal on the sunroof as a little chunk came off when i slowly opened it. Curiosity made me see if it would open. I will see if i can post some pics after the wash.
Adding a sunroof to my second GT was the second best improvement I ever made to it.

Reactions: dpre and mattbev

·
Über Genius
8,960 Posts
How/why so?

I've only ever driven one vehicle with a sunroof. What do you like about it, specifically with the GT?
I never felt the opel gt was a well ventilated car. It's also a little claustrophobic when two people of size are driving.
Opening the roof was a nice breath of air, but removing the glass with the windows up caused a headache inducing coke bottle effect. Opening the wing windows made it go away though.

Reactions: dpre

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Moon / sun roofs are awesom! Wouldn't put one in my GT but for my daily drivers it's preferred for sure

·
RunOpel
1,246 Posts
Mattbev you are very generous and kind by giving your Opel GT away so another Opel lover can keep it alive and running :) Hopefully one day if you have the desire to own another Opel GT that will happen for you.
I know we all are looking forward to seeing your Opel GT cleaned and restored.

Reactions: mattbev

·
Detritus Maximus
2,230 Posts
Moon / sun roofs are awesom! Wouldn't put one in my GT but for my daily drivers it's preferred for sure
First one I had was in the RX7. Loved it. It all depends on the placement. Too far back and you don't even really know it's there.
Wish I had one in the Mustang.

·
Living in the past
2,288 Posts
First one I had was in the RX7. Loved it. It all depends on the placement. Too far back and you don't even really know it's there.
Wish I had one in the Mustang.
I put one in a Opel GT and the key was right location and right contour, we used a VW bug sunroof and it was just the right size and contour to fit the shape of the GT roof and it fit without having to cut the cross top cross brace. I used a sawsall and an angle grinder to cut the hole in the top and it sealed up very well and never did leak a drop.

·
Über Genius
8,960 Posts
I put one in a Opel GT and the key was right location and right contour, we used a VW bug sunroof and it was just the right size and contour to fit the shape of the GT roof and it fit without having to cut the cross top cross brace. I used a sawsall and an angle grinder to cut the hole in the top and it sealed up very well and never did leak a drop.
Yes, the VW Beetle sunroof is the one to use. I took one from a wrecking yard and the only cutting on the GT was the cross bar from side to side and the sheet metal.
The sunroof spanned perfectly between the roof frame side rails. I had to cut the decorative trim for the sunroof for the inside but when it was all done it looked amazing. Never leaked.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Yes, the VW Beetle sunroof is the one to use. I took one from a wrecking yard and the only cutting on the GT was the cross bar from side to side and the sheet metal.
The sunroof spanned perfectly between the roof frame side rails. I had to cut the decorative trim for the sunroof for the inside but when it was all done it looked amazing. Never leaked.
Thats the one I put in, fit perfect and perfect roof line.

·
Über Genius
8,960 Posts
Thats the one I put in, fit perfect and perfect roof line.
I've been looking for one, off and on, for years. There aren't a lot of sunroof suppliers out there anymore.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,230 Posts
So, you used a factory VW metal sunroof?

This may be worthy of its own thread. I can see people not wanting a GT with a popup sunroof cut in to it, but installing a metal bug roof might be easier, cheaper than welding in a patch.

·
Über Genius
8,960 Posts
So, you used a factory VW metal sunroof?

This may be worthy of its own thread. I can see people not wanting a GT with a popup sunroof cut in to it, but installing a metal bug roof might be easier, cheaper than welding in a patch.
No, I used one of these

Buy back in the 80's there was a version that had more curve for a VW Beetle. It's the same size, otherwise, that was commonly used on smaller imports like the Honda Accord.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've got a 1972 Opel GT stored in my brother in law's shed in Monroe Wisconsin. Its Orange, no significant body damage (or was repaired before I got it in 1986)

Its been stored there about 25 years, not running, had critters get in a tear up the inside so needs lots of work. BUT it was a California car and not driven in midwest winters. I drove it here from CA back in 1991 and shortly there after stored it away with great intentions.

I need to get it out of the shed and just about to donate this to charity who will come pick it up.

If you are SERIOUSLY interested in the car AND have the ability to COME GET IT on an agreed date, you can have it BUT time is of the essence as I'd like to get rid of it this week.
I’m interested. Still available?

41 - 59 of 59 Posts