Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bob/Gary, Thanks for the info, checked the donut, found donut split and very little remaining.

Got a 72 gt with 4 speed. Problem is ever so often when shifting gears (most common in first gear) when we let the clutch out we hear and feel a clunking noise. Exhaust is tight and "U" Joints check ok. Any ideas?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Typical Opel problem I´m afraid. Check all the mounts and bump stops at the torque tube center section, plus the rubber *donut* which houses the central bearing. Any or all of these (when worn) will create a thumping noise (sounds like someone is kicking the floor of the car) when you accelerate or shift gears. Best bet is to replace all of them at the same time, since replacing one worn part usually exposes the next weak link and they will then have to be replaced one piece at a time until the noise stops. Now is the time to take the torque tube down, clean it, paint it, and replace all the offending worn components, then install it and forget about it for another 15 years. Gil at Opel GT Source has these parts in stock almost always, and you might also check with Charles at GoinManta. Best of luck.

Bob

·
Administrator
10,077 Posts
Sounds like the rubber support donut on the torque tube is shot. When there is a load on the driveline, the front of the torque tube will move, causing a loud noise and you may actually feel it behind the console.

Opel GT Source has them in stock.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,958 Posts
donut distorted

I was looking at the driveline tonight. My torque tube donut has slipped out of position.

question 1- Does it need replaced or can i tap it back in?

Attachments

·
1,973 Posts
From the looks of that torque tube donut I would say replace it as it looks like it has softened up over the years and it would benefit from a new one (the heavy duty one is the way to go) though it isn't a fun job.

·
Non Civilian
2,085 Posts
From the looks of that torque tube donut I would say replace it as it looks like it has softened up over the years and it would benefit from a new one (the heavy duty one is the way to go) though it isn't a fun job.
I concur, it will only be a matter of time till it comes out again. It may be a good idea to install it using urethane sealant like they use for installing windshields. That may help prevent it from ever slipping out again.

·
Super Moderator
13,577 Posts
I was looking at the driveline tonight. My torque tube donut has slipped out of position.

question 1- Does it need replaced or can i tap it back in?
If it's 'gooey' then just replace it. I removed the t/t donut from my '72 wagon a couple of weeks ago. It was in perfect shape, no dry-rot, no cracking. But it was soft as heck. Compare it to the new OGTS donut and you'll see what I mean...

Attachments

·
Kalifornia Kid
551 Posts
When you pull the drive shaft,...

also make sure you still have the thrust spring in place.

It may be the donut walked forward do to the missing thrust spring.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,958 Posts
replacing rubber donut

how to replace donut ? I am following my 70 manual, section 40-7.
my central bearing and donut were new 4 -5 years ago.
Question 1- do I need to take off the entire torque tube assembly?

question 2_ fig 41-5 shows driving out the "drive pinion extension shaft" with a rubber mallet, with the torque tube in a vise...is this what I need to do?

Question 3- is a "flange holder" tool needed?

PS: yes, my thrust spring is in. My donut is rather new, 30,000 miles on it or so..definately less than 45,000. It probably is soft from oil leaks from various places.

·
Rookie
50 Posts
grease for pinion extension rod teeth?

I'm reassembling, and came to a question that I can't find an answer to.
The teeth on both the pinion and the pinion extension rod were both nasty and full of grit, dirt, grease, sludge... whatever. I cleaned everything up nicely, but need to know if the teeth are supposed to be greased or dry-fit. The service manual says nothing about greasing this connection, and I found nothing using search.
Thanks!

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,537 Posts
I would think that trying to insert the two ends without some sort of lube would be a real PITA. As long as they are clean, why not add a few drops of clean oil or somthing similar (engine assembly lube)to ease the process.
JMTCW,
Joe
BTW, Ive NEVER seen ANY "dry" connection on any driveshaft part, if that puts your mind at ease.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts