1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
where the heck did you find this?

·
Registered
57 Posts
That looks to be at Curtis Towing in my hometown of Athens, OH. I went to school with a kid whose mother was my third grade teacher and whose father was a high school teacher. His dad had a few of these customized GTs back in the 70s-80s timeframe. I remember at least one silver one; I’d bet this was one of them. As I recall, he also had at least one with a triple-taillight treatment (seems like older bullet-style Vette lenses, but it’s a bit fuzzy now…)

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
That looks to be at Curtis Towing in my hometown of Athens, OH. I went to school with a kid whose mother was my third grade teacher and whose father was a high school teacher. His dad had a few of these customized GTs back in the 70s-80s timeframe. I remember at least one silver one; I’d bet this was one of them. As I recall, he also had at least one with a triple-taillight treatment (seems like older bullet-style Vette lenses, but it’s a bit fuzzy now…)
your absolutely right Steve Curtis owns it and his friend the D*** Head as he put it has a couple as well.
He's going to send me some pics as it is for sale.
He says it's been in the garage for 10-15 yrs.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
He was able to send me some pics and I'm waiting on a couple more.
I may see into getting it only because it is so unique but if the mods are falling apart then hopefully I'd have something to work with Car Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Car Vehicle Steering part Automotive design Motor vehicle Speedometer Odometer Light Gauge Measuring instrument Speedometer Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Gauge

Attachments

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Here are a couple more pics he sent me.
I'm hoping he will be able to get pics of the motor and under the car.
Mr. Bolbers are you still in that area? Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car Vehicle Window Hood Automotive carrying rack Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I vote for keeping it there another 15 years.
LOL OH come on that would be fun for parades.
You certainly won't see another like it.
And for what he's asking (if he texted the numbers right) I'd be hard pressed to pass it up.
RIGHT?

Reactions: rrossjr

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
And for what he's asking (if he texted the numbers right) I'd be hard pressed to pass it up.
RIGHT?
I must say, I respect that your considering such an odd ball.

I don't see the beauty in it , but I'm intregued that you do. Your also 100% correct that it is, and always will be a unique automobile.

Hope things work out for you.

Reactions: terrylewisac

·
Über Genius
9,463 Posts
There's a lot of time and money in that car, and there's a lot of time and money that car needs.

Reactions: Will I. Finish

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the horizontal corner fins were removed front and rear and it was painted a darker color, to understate it's over the top aspects, I think it would be a pretty decent custom GT.

·
Vendor
3,024 Posts
RIGHT?
You are a brave man, Terry! :p Is this fiberglass over a stock steel GT body? Without a doubt, many hours of fabrication went into this creation. I'm hoping you rescue it and drive it in that parade>

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
You are a brave man, Terry! :p Is this fiberglass over a stock steel GT body? Without a doubt, many hours of fabrication went into this creation. I'm hoping you rescue it and drive it in that parade>
I have no Idea I only spoke briefly with him yesterday in between him getting off work and on his way to dinner.
So I'm waiting on the other pictures and more time to speak with him.
And I'm hopeful some one here that is in that area can take a look at it for me.
But for what he is asking ( giving the uniqueness, is ridiculously cheap) It's kind of hard to not go for it.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
If the horizontal corner fins were removed front and rear and it was painted a darker color, to understate it's over the top aspects, I think it would be a pretty decent custom GT.
Yea I could agree with that.
If it's all intact and sturdy enough to handle the repaint, prep etc.
Then it maybe worth leaving it
I'm not a fan of creating work for myself If you no what I mean.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I like people doing weird things they're passionate about.

I'm umm.... I'm not sure I like this car.

This seems like a weekend project gag, that just went on and on and on too long. And later everyone's like "Wait, you're still working on that? Man I thought that was just a joke..."

What a peculiar automobile.

I'd like to shed tear and offer a brief prayer for the disembowelled chesterfield they skinned to cover the seats and door cards. Looks like they got some extra mileage out of the rug rolled up to hide the body after a mob hit, and stitched into the family quilt for the floorboards when they were done disposing of the corpse.

Not sure if that's a sunroof, a ceiling patch, or an escape hatch so in the event of a crash you can at least crawl out the top and die with dignity 30 feet away so you family can pretend you had nothing to do with it.

Look at that new and improved roofline. Part Forest Gump Flattop haircut, part Hunchback of Notre Dame. I wonder if they added rear seats, what with the added headroom.

Meh. If the price is low and it's fun to mess around with, no harm in some sanding and paint making it the automobile it ain't. It's grotesque, but it certainly doesn't lack character.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,940 Posts
In the same way that people consider the GT a 'poor man's Corvette', this would be the 'poor man's Kanzler'? Or, a relic from The Wacky Racers?

I'm don't really want to disparage someone elses artistic endeavor, but it is too surreal for me. The Kanzler looks like it could be a 'real' car. Although, the Kanzler would have to get altered for me to actually like it. Like some sort of sinister 30s Batmobile style...

Windshield has a gasket, for sure. Look at the bottom right corner (bottom left of pic). There is a piece of trim hiding the a pillar part and the custom top covers the top of the windshield.
I suspect some form of sunroof.

Reactions: The Scifi Guy
1 - 20 of 26 Posts