Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '73 GT with manual transmission I bought near a year ago. I haven't driven much and it sat for a couple months (covered outside summer months).

I always found it hard to get into first gear from a standstill but not when in motion. When I went to drive it after 2 months, I couldn't get the clutch engaged. I read through some of the threads posted ( http://www.opelgt.com/forums/7a-clutch/482-clutch-cable-adjustment.html ) and read through the service manual and first adjusted the ball stud to 3/4". With the car still up on a jack I got in the car and was able to shift in an out of gears freely and thought I was home free. Took it off the jack and it wouldn't work again!.. Back up on the jack...I then measured the distance between the release lever and clutch housing, 4 1/2" (not 4 1/4"). I then removed the "e" ring where the cable goes through the firewall and pushed it in a couple slots and reinserted the "e" ring. The outer ring around the rubber grommet is ripping away so I will replace that. Got back in the car while up on the jack and could engage the clutch but again when I dropped it to the ground, back to square one.

I have no idea if being on the jack somehow allows the clutch to engage or it's just bad "Carma" ;-)

Any advice before I say rebuild the clutch would be deeply appreciated!

Thanks Mike

·
Opeler
731 Posts
How much "free" play do you have in the pedal? Do you have the return spring on the fork arm?

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
I have a '73 GT with manual transmission I bought near a year ago. I haven't driven much and it sat for a couple months (covered outside summer months).

I always found it hard to get into first gear from a standstill but not when in motion. When I went to drive it after 2 months, I couldn't get the clutch engaged. I read through some of the threads posted ( http://www.opelgt.com/forums/7a-clutch/482-clutch-cable-adjustment.html ) and read through the service manual and first adjusted the ball stud to 3/4". With the car still up on a jack I got in the car and was able to shift in an out of gears freely and thought I was home free. Took it off the jack and it wouldn't work again!.. Back up on the jack...I then measured the distance between the release lever and clutch housing, 4 1/2" (not 4 1/4"). I then removed the "e" ring where the cable goes through the firewall and pushed it in a couple slots and reinserted the "e" ring. The outer ring around the rubber grommet is ripping away so I will replace that. Got back in the car while up on the jack and could engage the clutch but again when I dropped it to the ground, back to square one.

I have no idea if being on the jack somehow allows the clutch to engage or it's just bad "Carma" ;-)

Any advice before I say rebuild the clutch would be deeply appreciated!

Thanks Mike
Hate to mention this, but, it is a possibility, but, the input shaft may have gotten seized in the pilot bearing, or the clutch disc may have rusted to the flywheel. There are a few remedies for the clutch situation that are easy to try, search the site again, but, the pilot bearing situation involves removing the trans and clutch pack.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the responses

wrench459: yes while on the jack I could freely shift to all gears. Not sure what "direct drive" is

69whitegt: Free play looks to be 3/4" when depressing and I can pull back (toward seat) 3/4" as well.

Are there any "inspections" or tests I can do before removing the clutch?

Also when it was running, I'm guessing the difficultly of getting it into first at a stand still vs. when in motion has nothing to do with the clutch and all about the transmission...correct?

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wench459 Yes, (when on the jack, after adjusting the ball stud) I was able to shift freely into every gear and thought problem solved, dropped the jack...pushed in the clutch put it into gear and then tried to take it out again and it would not budge.

·
1,875 Posts
Is the car otherwise drive-able? If so I would have the car off, put the car in first gear and crank the engine with the clutch pedal depressed and nothing in front of you to run into. If the car starts and moves even with the pedal depressed I'm agreeing the clutch disc is rusted to the flywheel. By driving it with the clutch pedal in and should break loose. Had it happen every spring to my Kadett after sitting all winter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gordy; Thanks and I can do that. I actually read either a earlier thread from you or someone else where they talked about having 4 big fiends pick up the back of car and then drop it with wheels turning to then break it loose. It is in neutral now so I can push onto my very long driveway, try jacking it up to put it in first (hopefully that works again), drop it and then start it in gear as you mention. ....I'll keep you posted

thanks!
Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts