Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well spent the better part of the afternoon scrunched up on the drivers side floor under the wheel trying to convince the eye of the clutch cable to thread onto the hook on the pedal of the Manta. Sadly with little sucess.

The Buick Opel shop manual was very helpful as it said, "reattach cable to clutch petal” and gave a lovely illustration of a cut away of an attached clutch cable. Which just showed it as it is supposed to look. I see how it is supposed to go I just haven’t been able to get it there

I tried and tried and while I am admittedly a fairly an inept mechanic this was even pathetic for me. I can't get the cable to fold over the top to hook. Does anyone know a trick? Would using a cable from a ’74 Manta on a ’73 make any difference?

Thanks
The hapless fisherman.
Calvin

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
remove the pedal

I always had the best luck with those when the pedal was removed. Remove the nut from the end of the shaft that both the clutch and brake pedals move, slide it over a bit out of the clutch pedal but still holding the brake in place, and use the now "free" clutch pedal to hook the cable. Then put the clutch pedal back into place and reinstall the shaft and nut.

You might also want to remove the lock ring so the cable can feed into the car a bit more to give you something more to work with. Remember too to do the pedal end of the cable before the transmission end.

Good luck!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I know your pain! I was fighting with that cable this past Wednesday. It took me a good ten minutes, but I found that keeping the pedal up as much as possible, and pulling the cable as much as possible, I could bend the cable vertically enough to hook it through the loop.

But whatever...since you're done :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts