Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Opeler
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search on this subject and found information on release bearing, but didn't feel it peratained to my question.

Ok, I garaged my Opel GT with a rebuilt engine and clutch. I started to work on it again after 10+ years of procratinating. I now have a scraping sound when I barely press the clutch pedal. as I press it on down, the noise seems to wain a bit, but can still be heard. I've worked on a few GT's with the grinding or scraping noise happening while the cluth is out. (release bearing). So my question is: Is it still my release bearing or broken clutch spring? or something else? :confused:

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
10 Years!

Though the bearing was new 10 years ago (if I read this right) it will be a bit dry by now with the grease in it no longer much of a lubricant. By the sound of it this is your problem and you need a new thrust bearing to stop the noise.
While you are in there don't forget to check the pilot bearing in the crankshaft that the gbox input shaft locates in - that probably will need a tiny bit of lube too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts