Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Opeler
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the problem. Sorry for the disorganization. I didn't know exactly how to describe my problem So I'm just telling you everything. :confused:

When the car is running, I cannot put the car into gear. When I try I just hear a grinding sound that gets louder the harder I push. When the car is not running I can change the gears when the clutch is pushed in and when it's not. Does this mean the clutch is not disengaging? If I shift into first when the car is off, and then I start it while it's in first, the car starts moving on it's own. When I had the car jacked and rear driver's side wheel taken off, the wheel would spin when I started the car even though it was in neutral. Because of this I looked at the propeller shaft. When the car is in neutral, I can spin it freely with my hand, however, the wheel still spins when I start the car. When Im in gear, I cannot spin the propeller shaft whith my hand.

Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
mnike000 said:
When the car is running, I cannot put the car into gear.
Sounds like a bad pilot shaft bearing. Common on cars that sit around without use.

·
gogtgo
46 Posts
clutch problem

If you got under the car check the adjustment bolt on the right side of the bell housing above the muffler pipe. It might just need adjustment. The wheels tend to turn while in neutral, I don't believe there is a problem there. Also the clutch cable has a nut just under the hood where it goes into the firewall. It to can help tighten the cable. If it isn't tight enough it may be why you can't get it in gear. worse case senerio out with the trans and replace the throw out bearing.

·
Opeler
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

This was alot of help! I will try all of the things discussed here and in the link hopefully on monday. I will let you know what happened. I'm still open to more suggestions (it cant hurt). :) Thanks again.

·
Opeler
101 Posts
your problem is you pressure plate and pilot bearing... I had that problem on vehicle may times ,, pressure plate springs come out and jam to one side and when you put pressure on the clutch it can't collapse all the way and never releases.. your going to have to pull it ,, get a new pressure plate, clutch & bearing...

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
I agree with everyone here.

There are 3 Avondale, PA's What are you near? There might me an Opel owner near you.

·
Opeler
17 Posts
I am near kennet square. My email is mnike000"at"msn.com if anyone would like to contact me that way. Hopefully I can get out and do some work on the opel before it starts raining today. We've had thunderstorms for the past couple days. That would be great if there was another owner near me. My friend just told me that she saw some opels in a yard about 45 minutes from me. So I drove all the way down there yesterday and it turned out they were vet's. Big dissapointment (and waste of time).

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
I'm near Lansdale, PA. I sent you an e-mail with my availability to check your Opel.

·
Opeler
193 Posts
I'm currently having the same problem. When you try and start the car in gear with the clutch pedal down the car moves forward. When you try to start it in neutral it makes a weird metalic grinding noise that it didn't used to make. I tried the cable adjustment and it didn't work. I tried the adjusting nut on the side of the clutch housing and that didn't work. Baz suggested trying to see if the fork was just off the adjusting bolt. It seems to be on the bolt ok. So I'm going to have to pull it apart of have it pulled apart.

Post a note with what your problem ends up being. I'll do the same.

·
Opeler
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everyone!!!

:D I got my clutch problem figured out today! Thanks for all the help! First, I tightened up all the bolts on the tranny. Then, I readjusted the ball stud and release lever. After that I continually started the gear in fist and reverse to break the clutch free. After starting it about 35 times in my gravel drive way, my dad realized we should be doing it on the street where there will be more traction. (duh). After starting it about 5 or 10 more time here, it finally broke loose in reverse and now the clutch works fine! Thanks again. You guys were the biggest help! Now onto the next problem. There is a good amount of smoke coming from the exaust. If it doesnt clear soon I'm gonna have to assume its the piston rings. If I'm gonna spend the money on a rebuild, I want it to be a high compression engine. (My opel by the way is a 73 gt, I also have a 71 parts car) The engine block number on my 71 starts and ends with an *asterick* so I'm hoping it's a high compression, but I'm going to test it as soon as I get a new water pump for it. Anyway, if anyone knows/has a 69 or 70 (high compression) engine I am interested, possibly even the whole car. Also if anyone knows of a good rebuild place and about how much it costs. Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts