Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 283 Posts

·
Supercharged 2.4
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 1.9l I am removing from my GT has turbo plans in the future. For this I'll obviously need a header flange and a custom header.

Since I am going to the trouble of making this for myself (one off) I thought I'd make it available to the members here as well. I know at least a few people have expressed interest in header flanges since Rallybob's last production run some years ago.

Cost per unit is estimated at $40 regardless of how few people are interested. If we can get 10-20 or more people in for them the price will come down.

If anyone is interested I need to know now before I purchase the materials.

·
Super Moderator
13,688 Posts
Is stainless an option? I might want one for my Dad's turbo engine.

If so I can lend you one of my 'old' mild steel flanges to copy.

·
Supercharged 2.4
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is stainless an option? I might want one for my Dad's turbo engine.

If so I can lend you one of my 'old' mild steel flanges to copy.
Stainless is an option since the jigs would be the same. Cost will obviously be higher. My guestimate is $80 for 304 but let me get back to you on an exact price.

If you are ok with sending me your flange that would be great. I was planning on using the CAD file I posted a link to in another thread and comparing that against my stock exhaust manifold to make sure it was dimensionally accurate. Personally I'd rather use your design.

This isn't really applicable to you Rallybob but I know a skilled welder who is hurting for work. He may be willing to make complete headers for cheap. I plan on having him do the welding on my header but if anyone else is interested I'll talk to him to see if he is willing to do more than just one.

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
So he may be interested in making additional turbo headers? If so, please find out more info and post here, if possible. You may get significant interest (which would be good news for your welder friend!).

Any notion on whether they would be applicable to models other than GTs?

Todd K.

·
Supercharged 2.4
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So he may be interested in making additional turbo headers? If so, please find out more info and post here, if possible. You may get significant interest (which would be good news for your welder friend!).

Any notion on whether they would be applicable to models other than GTs?

Todd K.
I've left a message for him. I should know by this weekend whether he is interested in the idea or not. I'll keep everyone posted.

My eventual goal is to throw the 1.9 into a manta but that is considerably down the road. I'd imagine that if it fits in a GT it would fit in a Manta... Rallybob can correct me if I am wrong on that... the manta however seems to allow for a more optimal header layout because it doesn't have such sever space restrictions.

·
Super Moderator
13,688 Posts
I've left a message for him. I should know by this weekend whether he is interested in the idea or not. I'll keep everyone posted.

My eventual goal is to throw the 1.9 into a manta but that is considerably down the road. I'd imagine that if it fits in a GT it would fit in a Manta... Rallybob can correct me if I am wrong on that... the manta however seems to allow for a more optimal header layout because it doesn't have such sever space restrictions.
Manifolding will probably be different because of the space restrictions of a GT's body vs the engine mounts/sway bar location on a Manta. PITA really, but I spent days just looking at trying to make a universal manifold but couldn't come up with a good flowing manifold that would fit both cars. I didn't want to make a restrictive manifold if I was going to the trouble of making one from scratch. Not saying it can't be done, but it sure didn't look too obvious to me!

Sad to hear your welder friend is slow. Seems to be a lot of that going on lately in all different fields. Heard from another forum member about a similar header builder looking for work, wanted me to prototype a GT header for a production run to keep him busy. I have to try to fit that into my schedule now! Of course, if he does build GT headers he'll need a source of flanges, right? Maybe I can help a few people get more paying work out of this!
Bob

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
. I was planning on using the CAD file I posted a link to in another thread and comparing that against my stock exhaust manifold to make sure it was dimensionally accurate. Personally I'd rather use your design.

The CAD file you are refering to, it is from the opeltuners web site? If so, the design does need some tweeking.

·
Supercharged 2.4
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Manifolding will probably be different because of the space restrictions of a GT's body vs the engine mounts/sway bar location on a Manta. PITA really, but I spent days just looking at trying to make a universal manifold but couldn't come up with a good flowing manifold that would fit both cars. I didn't want to make a restrictive manifold if I was going to the trouble of making one from scratch. Not saying it can't be done, but it sure didn't look too obvious to me!

Sad to hear your welder friend is slow. Seems to be a lot of that going on lately in all different fields. Heard from another forum member about a similar header builder looking for work, wanted me to prototype a GT header for a production run to keep him busy. I have to try to fit that into my schedule now! Of course, if he does build GT headers he'll need a source of flanges, right? Maybe I can help a few people get more paying work out of this!
Bob
I love how things snow ball together! :)

The more we produce the better. Cuts material costs down and everyone gets a better price.

I'll take your word that we can't make the best for both worlds with one header design. I don't have a manta yet so I can't do mock up for that chassis anyway. At the very least the flanges can be used to produce the manifolds locally.

The CAD file you are refering to, it is from the opeltuners web site? If so, the design does need some tweeking.
Good to know. I planned on using it as a starting point from a modeling standpoint. Do you know what tweaks need to be made to it to make it work?

·
942 Posts
The 1.9l I am removing from my GT has turbo plans in the future. For this I'll obviously need a header flange and a custom header.

Since I am going to the trouble of making this for myself (one off) I thought I'd make it available to the members here as well. I know at least a few people have expressed interest in header flanges since Rallybob's last production run some years ago.

Cost per unit is estimated at $40 regardless of how few people are interested. If we can get 10-20 or more people in for them the price will come down.

If anyone is interested I need to know now before I purchase the materials.
I'm in Europe so shipment is a problem,
but if someone could arrange shipment to my location I'm interested in two units at $40 each plus airmail shipment.
I have a Paypal account so paying is very fast & secure,
I did several similar businesses this way so it went smooth & troublefree.
Hiro

·
Supercharged 2.4
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a business paypal account so that is fine. I've never shipped anything to France before but I am sure it can be done. I hear machining costs in your country are ridiculous!

·
942 Posts
I have a business paypal account so that is fine. I've never shipped anything to France before but I am sure it can be done. I hear machining costs in your country are ridiculous!
thanks Levi!
yes here in France machining cost is just a joke:
decking a CIH block was 70€ last year... most probably even more this year.
in fact the whole country is a joke when it comes to custom work,
no wonder I'm doing most of my business in the States & in Germany!
Hiro

·
Supercharged 2.4
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No problem Hiro.

Any problems in the past with the customs in your country?

·
Detritus Maximus
2,566 Posts
I would be interested in two of the flanges. Put me down.

On the list, I mean!

·
Supercharged 2.4
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is anyone other than Rallybob interested in stainless steel flanges?

·
942 Posts
No problem Hiro.

Any problems in the past with the customs in your country?
no tax when item is sent from non-professional with low declared value (state "used automotive part"),
customs are watching well-known companies in the US doing lots of business overseas (ie Summit Racing etc).
Hiro

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
Good to know. I planned on using it as a starting point from a modeling standpoint. Do you know what tweaks need to be made to it to make it work?
When made exactly to that file, there was interference with the thermostat housings. Also, when mounted on the two spare heads I had available, there needed to be some adjustment of exhuast locations and a slight adjustment of bolt hole locations.

Also the cut outs for the primary tubes need to be tweeked for the exact primary tube size and wall thickness.

You should cut some sheet metal with your design attempts first. Then when you get it all sorted out then cut the thick stuff.

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Is anyone other than Rallybob interested in stainless steel flanges?
Would your welder friend be interested in making stainless headers?
I'd be interested in a couple of steel flanges - and possibly stainless if there's the potential for someone to design and fabricate a stainless header (GT).

1 - 20 of 283 Posts