Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
is it ethical to try to make money to sell and possibly save an Opel you don't own?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
If you make a profit and save a opel, as long as it was at a reasonable price, yes.

If you have to make a choice of giveing it away or letting it go to the crusher, I would let it go for free, instead of letting it go to the crusher, so then no.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the group buy has cost me over 700 and not a dime was passed on to who got the cars. The cars were saved and that was the deal. I made the decision to save them and those costs were mine. Ethics suck some times. Finders fee my fuzzy white asteric. If it's for sale then the price is set not a lets do used car salesman BS.

PS, on this one I have yet to get up on my soapbox.

·
Opeler
54 Posts
Nobody you did good and a few people did good by you and hopefully they showed their aprication.

I have done volunteer work and meet so many great people they all say it has cost them a few dollars, but they would do it again any time to know they saved something they where committed to or helped someone.

Rob

·
88 Posts
Ill add my thanks...

To anybody (including nobody) that would rather see a car go to somebody instead of a crusher... and not try to turn it into a "profit or crush" situation.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Just to add my 2 cents worth to what the others have said. All the good you have done will all come back around. Jarrell

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Well Dave, I guess all that needs to be said has been said in the previous posts. All I can add is, thanx from all of us that would rather see an Opel saved in one way or another than to have it gone forever. Jarrell is right, in another vein, what goes around comes around, and you've done more than your fair share. Good things come to those that do good things. And you're just about due, IMHO.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
all i can say is thanks

i dont know what started your question.

its a free market. its a LOT of work to put the group buy together.its a lot of work to ship parts. if you can find it cheaper, then go buy it somewhere else, if thats what you want.heck yes its ethical.

who in this world works for free all the time? you cant donate everything.

the bottom line, thanks to nobody, i got a dam good running opel and enough parts to keep her running till i go to meet Adam Opel himself at the big ,big opel meeting.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Ethics

This is a good one, because I have now seen two Opels for sale where the finder wanted a finders fee. The first one wanted 50% of the selling price, and now I see one where they want 25% of the selling price. Interesting because the first one had 5 dead cars parked in front of it that the finder fee person didn't even want to move to get the GT out, and also the GT couldn't be started, and appears things had been taken off the car, like the brakes and other things that the seller wasn't aware of, oh, not to mention flat tires too. Whats a buyer to do? Buy it and leave it there cause they can't get it out? And also pay a rediculous price besides! Come on Something is wrong here! Don't know the circumstances on the 25% one, but I'm hoping whoever considers it takes a close look.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
What started the question is charging a "finders fee" . I think it's unethical to charge somebody for a phone number or address. The cars are hard to find and so are the parts for them. If you own it out right then you are entitled to sell it for what you feel it's worth. It's my opinion that if all your doing is brokering or offering what you found then the price should be from the seller not from who "found" it. I've recently seen 25 and 50% finders fees for cars that somebody else owns. No work involved, no expenses, just screwing with the original price. If you want a finders fee, go to the shop and find me a full set of motor bolts, I'll give you 10 bucks for that. Hell I'd give 50 for an inventory and I own the parts.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
You are very correct on this. Now, if the owner wants to offer you some money after the deal is done, that is their option. Yours, if you decide to take them up on the offer. Personally, I wouldn't take it, simply because I wasn't the owner and I don't think it is correct. I recussed myself on bidding on 2 Gts that were on Ebay during the winter, 1 of which was an original with air. When I went to look at them, it turned out I had met the owner at a car show. So I waited until the auction was over before I spoke about them.
You will always find someone who wants to make a quick buck on someone else's dime. I am very pleased to say that I have not met anyone on this board who thinks this way, or acts this way. That's why I feel that in a lot of respects, very lucky to have found a group of like individuals here. People who will help other people without the thought of monetary compensation, just the like, or love, of these particular cars.
Jarrell

·
Super Moderator
5,924 Posts
Ah, now I see what this is all about. A member has offered a GT for sale on the ad board that he says the is "representing" the owner on, and would "like" a 25% commission on the sale.

Now Dave is really talking about a different thing here than what he just did. He found a bunch of waif Opels and got them homes. Between him and Stephen, there aren't two more selfless Opeler's in the world. But that was for the LOVE of the marque. This is a marketing issue.

I don't have a problem with people making a living selling cars. Heck, Jim Marchitto has to pay the bills somehow. And used car salesmen are people too (although there have been a few I have met that barely resembled that remark!). And if the "agent" and owner have an arrangement to pay a commission, that is between those two.

But how the heck does it work to ask the BUYER to pay a commission? It would be like a real estate agent being paid by the buyer to give him the best deal. Oh wait, that CAN work, if the agent is working for the buyer, and is paid by the buyer to have his best interests in mind. In fact, Jim Marchitto does that all the time, when he offers his services to find a potential buyer the Opel of his dreams. He gets a small retainer up front, but if he can't find the buyer the car he wants at a price he is willing to pay, no more commission. Actually make sense!

But for an agent to ask for a commission from a buyer for a specific car, that sounds more like blackmail. "If you don't agree to pay me 25%, I won't tell you how to contact the seller and he won't sell his car." Hmm, THAT doesn't sound like something I would do to MY friends who want to sell a car!

JM2CW

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It wasn't two weeks ago that a few of us were discussing a GT with a 50% finders fee. It was unanimous that it was unethical. I agree that everybody needs to make a living. Jim is a perfect example, alot of the cars he sells he owns or has checked over and made the needed repairs and earned the right to set the price as he sees fit.

As for the group buy only the last one that just recently got offered for sale was marked up 150 bucks for adding in all the pieces to put it back together, you know, headliner, door skins, seat covers, alot of vinyl, carb and everything chrome from my personal collection of parts. I think that's reasonable.

I would never hide the parts or cars from a buyer to make money from it. I feel bad if I have to charge for things.

A finders fee actually makes me laugh. I'd be willing to pay a small fee if somebody would go into my shop and find things for me.

·
Opeler
1,287 Posts
I agree with nobody. If the seller wants to pay the guy then pay him. As a buyer, I will never pay someone else unless I hire them to find it for me. I have a whole new look on the guy asking for the money. Ive met him twice but have lost respect.

Karl

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
If it is finders fee we are talking about I agree with Dave, I do not beleive it is right to charge for finding a car and getting it with a person that will fix it up and take care of it.

I feel it is like knowing two folks that you introduce together and they get married. You do not charge them a finders fee for love, do you? You just enjoy of the glow they give off when they are around you, that is payment enough.

On the other hand if it does not work out you feel bad about it. If there was a finders fee do you give that back. I just do not think that is right!!

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What got me thinking and talking about it was somebody trying to sell my girlfriend a GT at a 50% mark up as a finders fee for a car with no brakes, tires, ignition and alot more missing with every conversation. I'll give anybody any part they need without question and my patience level is pretty good. Try to get over on her and you get to see something most choose to avoid in life.

A finders fee is bad enough, to push it on a woman is, well you be the judge.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hey nobody, if I ever pass thru Colorado I'm taking you up on that inventory job! :D
The finder's fee having been discussed comprehensively I will say this: the group buy is disappointing if nothing else because it would have been a decent thing to do if you had born the cost of getting the cars for everyone. If I have misunderstood then I owe some apologies... . I hope that some people are in the boat I'm in and just have to wait for some money to be available before they can send on anything. I just sent some money out due to exactly that issue. My parents reared me with some rather strict rules of courtesy and they certainly don't have to apply to anyone but I would send some money if it was within my ability whether asked or not.
Now here's an issue for you - I feel badly about getting a part from the Georgia group buy. Other people bought the car and it's their money I'm benefitting from. The deal has been put forward that we donate to the site in lieu of paying the buyers partly because they got first choice of parts and amounts thereof. Just seems like I should give them some money as I will donate to the site anyway. Maybe it's just my pointless worry and I shouldn't be concerned about it - it would end up being a couple of dollars or so to a lot of different people. :D Possibly not worth the effort to them or me. I don't know.

·
635 Posts
I agree

nobody said:
I agree that everybody needs to make a living. Jim is a perfect example, alot of the cars he sells he owns or has checked over and made the needed repairs and earned the right to set the price as he sees fit.
Thank you for your support.

I agree that a 50% "finders fee" is absurb.

I also agree that if a customer is buying a GT from a seller through a "broker" that the buyer is under no obligation to pay a commission to the the "broker".
If a "broker" wants to earn a commisssion then he should negotiate a 10-15% commission with the seller, which is fair and reasonable for the amount of time and effort it takes to advertise the car, screen the potential buyers, arrange to show the vehicle, do any minor repairs prior to delivery, andf do DMV paperwork.
JMHO
Opel Jim

BTW THANKS TO ALL THOSE WHO CONTINUE TO SUPPORT USA OPEL :)

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jim that's just how I see it, you have a business that includes selling cars and a reputation to deal with. You probably would have had a better idea on how to deal with all the cars I've been finding.

Ging, one of the pleasures in life is to be able to help somebody and expect nothing in return but a smile. If you do get out this way the "finders fee" for the shop is a bigger task than you know. I'm still trying to find the other fixed wing window. I found a headliner with the bows while looking for it. A finders fee for a car is absurd, they are big and easy to find. Find me that handful of throttle grommets in that shop and there is a reward and would be well earned.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts