Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rebuilding my rear suspension..and have everything out. Was wondering if I should buy new coil springs, is there anyway to test my current ones to see if they need replacing?? or should I just do it to be safe.

Thakns.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
without compression testing gear about all you can do is look to see if the hights are the same and maybe measure the compression with a large weight and a ruler

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Or you could find somebody you know that has several pairs stashed away from cars dismantled long ago?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...I do have 2 sets, and they are all the same height just don't know about the "rebound" part. I guess I could stand on them, but how do I know how "far" they are supposed to go down. I was reading some previous posts about springs from coilsprings.com, they offer one that has a rate of 180lbs (for extra weight), vs the stock of 150lbs...wonder if these would do better with the Koni shocks I have. decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
What about a hyd press with a Psi gauge hooked inline and compare the Psi and the height of the individual springs? I don't have any idea how much the compressed spring height is in the car though. Not much info in this post, just a thought. Jarrell

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
To do it right just take the springs to a shop that works on race cars. A phone call to your nearest speedway should get you the name and number of numerous local racers with the equipment. Mine were done by a shop just two blocks away. The tool is really just a hydraulic press with an electronic load cell (measures the weight on it) and a measuring apparatus with a dial indicator. The guy did a spring in half a minute while I watched. And wouldn't take any money. What a guy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts