Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would they work on the GT? I was planning on mostly tracking the GT, but the idea of rallying it came to mind...but to effectively do that, I would think I'd need adjustable coilover's in the MacPherson design.

Could this be (relatively) easily done?

·
Super Moderator
13,688 Posts
If you're going to rally it, get a Manta or Ascona. The GT's suspension design, as well as ride height, would require a total rethink to make it effective. Heck, the GT's lower a-arms bend from pot-holes, rallying would simply tear them off the car!

Bob

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
well, the car is being given to me, so I haven't a choice, really.

Tarmac racer, it is! :)

oh, and back to the question anyway, is a coilover suspension possible, and worthwhile? I've no experience with leaf springs/shocks, and I tend to think they won't hold as well as the spring over strut design would.

·
371 Posts
would a mustang two front end work with the cross member
i think about doing this two mine better brakes better than a mono leaf spring yes no

·
Super Moderator
13,688 Posts
JGard18 said:
oh, and back to the question anyway, is a coilover suspension possible, and worthwhile? I've no experience with leaf springs/shocks, and I tend to think they won't hold as well as the spring over strut design would.
Anything is possible, given two parameters: Time and money.
Yes, you could do a coil-over suspension design for the GT. You essentially have to re-engineer the entire front end to do it. You *could* cobble together something using stock parts, but it wouldn't last under duress (racing). Okay for a show car though.

By the way, you'd use coil-over shocks, not struts, the GT's hoodline and basic chassis design does not allow the use of struts. Besides, that's a step backwards, going from unequal length a-arms to strut-type suspension. Strut suspensions have no way to increase (or even to maintain) a decent tire contact patch, since they tend to lose camber under cornering unless spring rates are extraordinarily high. A multi-link 'strut' front end is an exception, but this is essentially a fancy word for an unequal-length a-arm suspension with a tall 'shock' stuck in there. Basis strut suspensions are used on modern cars for one reason: cost.

Bob

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow, geez, I'm learning a lot here :)

ok, so going with some of the options opelgtsource.com has, like their stiff leaf springs with adjustable shocks, bushings, and swaybars...that should be enough to make for formidable handling?

Lastly, what about wheels/tires combinations? I'm guessing 15" or 16" rims with a lower profile tire may be better than those 13", correct? (this is how it is in the Subaru world, but things seem to be much different in the Opel world, where everything's just kinda older). :) Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
13,688 Posts
Certainly, for a larger, heavier car like the Subaru a bigger rim is mandatory. My WRX needs 16" wheels minimum to clear the stock brake calipers. And today, there are far more tire choices in 15" and larger wheel sizes. Personally, I prefer to stick with 13" wheels mostly because of the lighter weight on the wheel/tire assembly, and the resultant reduction in rotating inertia (less hp soaked up through the driveline). Acceleration will be better, and the reduction in unsprung weight will allow the suspension to better conform to road irregularities and improve ride quality. Mostly though, larger wheels and lower profile tires are simply in fashion, regardless of the loss or gain in performance from them.

If you want to go up in wheel size, I suggest staying away from 14" (hard to find) and going with 15" wheels. You could go with 16" wheels sure, but they're gonna cost more, weigh more, and if you race.... racing tires in 16" sizes are harder to come by and more expensive. 15" wheels will allow pretty darn big brakes on an Opel if you decide to go that route.

Bob

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, i noticed that the big brake kits on the GT require larger than 13" rims, which is what got my asking.

As for the tire profile size, don't think I was speaking of something like a 205/35 tire. I was thinking somewhere along the lines of my Impreza, which is 205/55-16...but obviously slightly smaller since it's a smaller car.

I'll keep lookin around to see what I can see. Thanks :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
someone told me that if i put 15's in the gt...then i will be hitting the fender because of how small the car is. is this true? and...if i put 15s in it...i would also want to lower it some if possible. Currently that is my next step on my Opel before i rebuild my spare 1.9L. i want to overhaul the suspension. replace every bushing with polyurethane parts, add swaybars to both front and rear, and lower the car with some lowering springs and performance shocks.

any suggestions on what route i should go, where to get the parts, and how much total i will end up spending?

·
Certified Opelholic
1,468 Posts
when i had my street GT i ran 205/50/15's on Fitti stars for several years (91 to 96)

the car had all polyurethane, rebuilt rack OGTS sway bars front and rear

ran Kaddet rear bar for awhile

i first had the OGTS sport leaf in the front then the C&R fiberglass one later

one coil was cut out of the rear springs

The car would four wheel drift during autocrossing worked very well.

Rode like a buck board but I liked it, most people that I let drive my car did not like the ride.

Now thinking back if I could have gotten Adj. shocks the ride and the handling would have been better. Still the car would run about 10th overall at autocross events (not to bad)

Will the tires rub: No if you get the right offset I got my rims from a VW shop there was rub marks on the front sway bar.

How much does it cost: just do what most of us do, or did, get OGTS's catalog write down what you need and take it in steps

do the front then the rear
the first mod i did was the TQ tube. then front poly with sport spring
next was the rack then the rear sway bar then front sway bar
then shocks (Monroe's on the front Ha Ha)

then the OGTS rear bar and next was rear poly lastly the C&R leaf for the front

have fun
Davegt74

1 - 10 of 10 Posts