Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
That's the other issue with determining the shade of blue.
It might look great on one vehicle and not so great on the next.
Certain shades work well on some due to the vehicle shape curves and size.
I'd have to say that choosing the color alone is more mind bending than getting it done

·
Opeler
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
That's the other issue with determining the shade of blue.
It might look great on one vehicle and not so great on the next.
Certain shades work well on some due to the vehicle shape curves and size.
I'd have to say that choosing the color alone is more mind bending than getting it done
I totally agree!
This color is for a 1966 Galaxie 2 door fastback, so it’s a big, but cool, car and I want the color to be perfect for it.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
interesting I was just looking at one on CL 2 door convertible.
pretty cool car all the ones I've seen are red. Wouldn't be my color choice
I think your on to something going blue
Keep me posted if you don't mind
And good luck with your color choice

·
Opeler
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Saw an Infiniti today in Iridium Blue today and thought it looked great…
In the shade…

In the light…

·
Opeler
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Is that a 7 liter, '66 Ford Galaxy parked behind the Mercedes coupe? Pretty unusual to see one of those still around and in that good condition!:)
Yes it is, and it’s there because I drove it there :) And it is unusual to see one, according to the registry there’s less than 160 of them known to exist with a 4 speed.

·
Vendor
3,047 Posts
Yes it is, and it’s there because I drove it there :) And it is unusual to see one, according to the registry there’s less than 160 of them known to exist with a 4 speed.
Looks like a really nice car, Eric. Where did you find it? I had a '69 Galaxy 500 (2 door hard top) back in the early 80's. Great car, but not exactly a gas sipper. :p

·
Opeler
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Looks like a really nice car, Eric. Where did you find it? I had a '69 Galaxy 500 (2 door hard top) back in the early 80's. Great car, but not exactly a gas sipper. :p
I plow through gas, but with a 428 that’s been bored over, with cam & roller rockers, it’s not set up to have great economy. Probably couldn’t have two more contrasting cars in the garage, but at least they both share a the trait of obscurity. It’s a great car with fantastic bones, but it needs a full makeover, which is happening this fall & winter.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
ah now I understand the ( no purple ) part of the story.
Metallic is a must and will play an important roll in the paint job on that beautiful beast.
Do you still pinch yourself when you walk out to the garage and lay eye's on those babies of yours?

·
Opeler
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
ah now I understand the ( no purple ) part of the story.
Metallic is a must and will play an important roll in the paint job on that beautiful beast.
Do you still pinch yourself when you walk out to the garage and lay eye's on those babies of yours?
It’s pretty great, will be even better when it’s fully ready and the whole fam can enjoy it.

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
440 Posts
Even in Purple, that is a nice looking Galaxy. That Infiniti Iridium Blue would really look nice.

·
Opeler
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Even in Purple, that is a nice looking Galaxy. That Infiniti Iridium Blue would really look nice.
My wife and I seem to have it narrowed down (so far!) to the Mercedes Brilliant Blue, Modern Classikks Veruca Violet and the Infiniti Iridium Blue, with the Infiniti leading due to the amount of flake in it and while not being too overpowering of a color for such a big car.

Here’s a better look at the Galaxie…but like I said, a complete makeover is ahead. The color is supposed to be cobalt blue but they candied it with iridescent paint, so it’s purple all the time. Plus they blacked out nearly all the bright work and used fiberglass hood and bumpers.

Eric

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
805 Posts
Nice looking Purple Car - haven't seen one that color since the 70's, shiny too....Had mag wheels like those on my 67 Mustang that I drove from 1970 to 1972. Was silver and the wheels really set that color off, the color of the rim was a silver that almost matched the car. Wish I had taken a picture but just never did. Good luck with your restoration/paint. I had a neighbor that purchased one of those new in 1965 I would have been around 13 year old. I recall that it was yellow.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts