Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 264 Posts

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for starting this thread Keith. I'm really excited about this project. As Keith mentioned, I'm looking to restore my car mostly to have as a daily driver that I can also be proud of. There will be a few places here and there where I won't want to spend the extra money for cosmetic changes because making it a show car isn't my primary objective. I'm willing to put money into the "heavy hitters" that really make a noticeable difference in the overall appearance and mechanical reliability of the car. I can always go back at a later date and do additional upgrades. This is the first car I ever purchased and it means a lot to me after 20 years of ownership. I'm confident that with Keith's knowledge of the Opel GT that I will get what I'm looking for and I hope others will benefit from following along.

·
boomerang opeler
5,626 Posts
we are always happy to see an opel restored no matter how its done and will support this all the way , wont we folks :yup:

do we get a teaser of what colour its going to be or any clues as to whats going to be done ? :veryhappy

·
Super Moderator
9,664 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread Keith. I'm really excited about this project. As Keith mentioned, I'm looking to restore my car mostly to have as a daily driver that I can also be proud of. There will be a few places here and there where I won't want to spend the extra money for cosmetic changes because making it a show car isn't my primary objective. I'm willing to put money into the "heavy hitters" that really make a noticeable difference in the overall appearance and mechanical reliability of the car. I can always go back at a later date and do additional upgrades. This is the first car I ever purchased and it means a lot to me after 20 years of ownership. I'm confident that with Keith's knowledge of the Opel GT that I will get what I'm looking for and I hope others will benefit from following along.
Newman;
Just because you're having Keith do the resto work on your GT, in NO WAY excuses you from attending the GA Opeler Meets:lmao:

·
392 Posts
Thanks Keith for sharing this restoration with us. I know this is extra work to put this information down on the computer with pictures and narration but it shows us your dedication to your workmanship and to the Opel community. Matthew, as you know, we are only human and you are throwing yourself out there into the cyberworld for both criticisim and praise for your decisions. I, myself, will be awaiting each installment with eager anticipation to see how it progresses.

No hints, please. I hate reading a book where I know the plot, already. That is the beauty of turning each page.

Mike

·
427 Posts
I'm looking forward to following the progress of this project as well! I'd also love to see a video diary of the transformation as well... like an hour episode from Discovery's "American Hot Rod", though that could be a bit time consuming to produce. Not sure about other site members, but I know that I would be willing to purchase a copy if you should decide to do so. If there is enough interest, you might even be able to help offset some of the remod costs (or pay for a post-remod wrap party! lol). Just a thought...
Brett

·
Defector
58 Posts
I'm looking forward to following the progress of this project as well! I'd also love to see a video diary of the transformation as well... like an hour episode from Discovery's "American Hot Rod", though that could be a bit time consuming to produce. Not sure about other site members, but I know that I would be willing to purchase a copy if you should decide to do so. If there is enough interest, you might even be able to help offset some of the remod costs (or pay for a post-remod wrap party! lol). Just a thought...
Brett
id be down for a copy. itd be cool to see how you did a lot of the work for those of us newbie DIY nutcases like myself :banghead:

·
Super Moderator
9,664 Posts
Keith;
Since it's been mentioned, it does sound like a cool idea, making a video of the resto. I have my own VHS-C cam that could be used to capture it all, then have it edited down to something more useable, then changed over to DVD. They could then be sold and some of the profits go to keeping this wonderful site going. What do y'all think?:)
Gene

·
427 Posts
Keith;
then changed over to DVD. They could then be sold and some of the profits go to keeping this wonderful site going. What do y'all think?:)
Gene
Like I said, put me down for one. Am thinking $20 including postage? Heck, get enough raw footage, might even be able to sell it to Disc or Speed channel... no wait... then THEY'D have the rights to it and it would cost double...lol

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Newman;
Just because you're having Keith do the resto work on your GT, in NO WAY excuses you from attending the GA Opeler Meets:lmao:
Understood :) . I really do want to make the next event in the Atlanta area. I couldn't make the Stone Mountain get together late last year due to other commitments. I won't have my car for a while obviously but would love to meet everyone.

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brett
It's a great idea and I would love to do this. However, it really would be up to Keith and the folks at Mid-Southern Restoration. Since I am in Atlanta and they're in Tennessee, I don't have quick access to the car to do the filming. So, the burden of the extra effort to film the progress (on top of taking photos) would fall on them and not me.

·
Super Moderator
9,664 Posts
Understood :) . I really do want to make the next event in the Atlanta area. I couldn't make the Stone Mountain get together late last year due to other commitments. I won't have my car for a while obviously but would love to meet everyone.
Matthew;
The first meet looks to be Feb 3rd in Milner GA, Wrench459 (Dan) is hosting it.
Gene

·
Opel Key Master
4,951 Posts
Video of restoration

Well, what ends up being a problem with video, is editing out hours of boring labor procedures. On shows like American Hot Rod, they condense 1 months show into 1 hour. That is basically left for all the fights and arguements to be put in to make a show. We have pretty much dropped the idea of that. Hopefully with pictures we should be able to get out just as much. There are certain little personal touches that I plan to do on this car to make it stand a little taller IMHO. There will be little things I do to the engine bay and motor assembly that I have found to be practical ways to not only dress up the engine, but hide things such as wiring or route things neater. Nothing radical will be done to this particular restoration as far as body mods go, not even lowering or hopped up engine. It will be everyday things with slight upgrades. I may even do a segment to show powdercoating, as we will be coating several components. Wiring will be a big factor, and proper ways to wire. The neat thing is it will be on a rotisserie and once painted, see how clean it goes back together. Thats the part I can't wait for. Well hopefully we get some progress on a couple Packards this week to start on the car.
Keith

·
gone Opel GT crazy!
640 Posts
A long video

He's right how can you choose the right clips to save. Or you can have a video that never ends.......:lmao:

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Matthew;
The first meet looks to be Feb 3rd in Milner GA, Wrench459 (Dan) is hosting it.
Gene
Gene,

The first weekend in February every year is when my wife and I rent a cabin in Gatlinburg, TN with four other couples. So, once again, I'm booked :sigh: . Well, that's two strikes now. Let's hope the third try is successful...

Matt

·
1,973 Posts
to interest people to keep working on their opel gt's someone should uploas a video of a fully restored opel gt.
I think that has already been discussed prior in this thread if I am understanding your post correctly, though as for myself I am quite sure a video of a fully restored opel would be quite boring as all it would be doing is remaining still...fully restored. It would kind of seem like a video in place of still shots, not alot of action or progress.

·
Opel Key Master
4,951 Posts
Restoration

Well we have a computer at work, but in a separate office. I would sort of feel like a watched babysitter?????:sigh: I promise there will be too many pictures that everyone will be tired of looking at them. Who would want to watch me all day long...... Harold Collins?????? Naaaa. :lmao: I will let people know also the brand of equipment being used and some of the tools I have to my use and where to pick them up.
Keith

·
Administrator
10,005 Posts
Well we have a computer at work, but in a separate office. I would sort of feel like a watched babysitter?????:sigh:
True. I can see the posts now....

Poll - "How many times will opelspyder scratch his butt today?"

Post - "Come on guy's breaks over. I want to see some work" or "No, no don't do it that way..."​

Yeah you're right, it would never work. :D

1 - 20 of 264 Posts