Opel GT Forum banner

261 - 264 of 264 Posts

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #261 (Edited)
Looks good. I want to do that brake upgrade myself. I am guessing you just have not installed the battery hold down yet right???:confused:
Thanks George! There is a rubberized "clamp" that screws into the battery tray and fits over the lower lip of the base of the battery. Should I secure the battery by some additional means? Let me know.

EDIT: Never mind George - I just looked at that photo again and noticed it was taken before I had re-installed the hold-down clamp. Good eye!

Thanks,

Matt

·
Driver
987 Posts
No problem. I've just heard stories where people don't tie their battery down and get in an accident and the battery bounces around and shorts out and burns the car up.:shocked::eek1:
Wouldn't want to see that happen to Sara.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
First off, Great car and amazing thread!! I've enjoyed every post and I'm happy to hear you've manage to put on 14k on it. Quick question and pardon my ignorance but I was always under the impression you could not run stock 13 inch rims with 75"big disc brakes???? I've been interested in the same mod put was discouraged when I read you couldn't run stockers. What was your solution???

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
Thank you for the kind words! Well, Keith did the hard work but I've examined the brakes enough to comment somewhat given that I went behind Keith's work to install the braided steel brake lines after I got the car back from him. I know you have to swap sides and invert them. In other words, take the right side caliper and put it on the left side with the bleeder screw on top. Keith also made some short lines that he bent himself and modified the brackets that hold the brake line (see his earlier post). I did have to grind some extra metal off one of the calipers because the clearance was pretty tight. They do fit however with stock rims. Finally, the stopping power is excellent. I put the brakes to a good test just today when a car pulled over in front of me. The car stops on a dime - comparable to my modern cars - no mental adjustment for stopping distance required when changing between cars which is what I wanted to achieve with this upgrade.

261 - 264 of 264 Posts