Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided on swapping a turbo Ecotec engine from a Pontiac Solstice turbo into my GT. Does anyone know anything about this swap?

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
I have decided on swapping a turbo Ecotec engine from a Pontiac Solstice turbo into my GT. Does anyone know anything about this swap?
I seem to recall a thread on this. I thought the determination was made that the stock NA Solstice engine would fit but the extra size of the Turbo (GXP) version would not without significant modifications. Try searching - I think there is a thread on this subject...

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,129 Posts
That would not be considered a sin here. Of course there are purists everywhere, but I think a Solstice/Sky drivetrain in another pre-1975 Opel would be found as a great project to watch in our community. Let's vote!

@moderators: please add a poll: "What is your opinion of putting a Solstice or Sky drivetrain into a pre-1975 Opel?"
1: It's a sin, don't do it
2: Hell Yeah, if it floats your boat go ahead! Post lotsa pics!
(there is no maybe here. If you are a "maybe", don't vote).

Dieter

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
I was thinking of taking the 2.4L engine out of my Solstice and putting it in the Opel and taking the Opel 1.9L engine and putting it in my Solstice. Now that would be a true swap! Maybe add that to Dieter's poll... :lmao:

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,129 Posts
I was thinking of taking the 2.4L engine out of my Solstice and putting it in the Opel and taking the Opel 1.9L engine and putting it in my Solstice. Now that would be a true swap! Maybe add that to Dieter's poll... :lmao:
Matt, you are hilarious! That's one reason why I like you so much!!! :yup:

Dieter

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
You might read this thread for some ideas. Sure, it's about a Chevy Chevette with an Ecotec turbo, but the concept still applies...new engine in an old car.
Project: Chevette Turbocharged Ecotec...

IIRC, he gave up because he couldn't find anyone who could unlock the ECU to work outside of the OEM parameters. Meaning that unless you use the Solstice rear axle, fuel tank, emissions controls, dash cluster, ABS systems, etc...the ECU goes into default at the engine won't run correctly. It's been a while since that thread started so by now maybe someone has been able to hack the ECU to run without the anciliaries?

However if you are willing to use an aftermarket ECU I see no reason why you can't make this work.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Yep GM networks all the modules together using high and low speed can buss.
PM me the donor cars vin and I'll play around with the tuning and see if theres
a work around.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
crud this is a pita
I got a 02 5.7L camaro tune to open in my software
GM tuning.jpg
But not the solstice errrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
The Solstice is not fully supported at this time with the software.
The good news is that it's listed so I placed a "request" for complete coverage.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Ok # three post on the same subject.
I heard back from SCT today on how to get into the late models.
In a nut shell you'll need a handheld to upload the contents of the EEPROM, then
save it. Then go into AdvantageIII open the saved file,modify, then blow it back into
the the hand held. Then reburn the EEPROM. Simple :banghead:

One of the biggest hurdles is getting around the VTD (vehicle theft deterrent).
The rest is a piece of cake ie axle,trans,...

·
531 Posts
Hi,

Two things
1- RallyBob, I couldn't get your link to work - perhaps one must be a member of the forum to view that article on the chevette? Is this a ecotec where a turbo has been added, or is it the factory turbo?

2- I am currently in the process of trying to get a LNF engine (what comes in a solstice GXP) to run stand-alone on a test stand. If I am successful, I'll let you know. So far, I am becoming quite an expert at reading GM wiring diagrams! I am using the stock ECM, but a very modified version - see Trifecta performance Trifecta Performance Custom Tuning :: Home Page and News . If I can get it to run on a test stand, I MAY transplant it into my GT, but I need to think carefully about putting 300 lb-ft of torque in an old car that originally had less than 1/3 of that...

Good luck!

jtb

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
1- RallyBob, I couldn't get your link to work - perhaps one must be a member of the forum to view that article on the chevette? Is this a ecotec where a turbo has been added, or is it the factory turbo?
Hmm, it worked before but now it doesn't for me either. It's on the Pro-Touring site, you can do a search for 'Ecotec Chevette' and it should come up in the search. He was swapping a comlpete factory turbo Ecotec into a Chevette chassis.

Pro-Touring.com

·
531 Posts
Got it running!

I have my LNF engine running on a test stand. I haven't run it for more than a few minutes yet, as I don't have any gauges hooked up. Once I have some gauges I'll bring it up to temp and make sure everything is happy. So far the only code the ECM puts up is complaining about the clutch pedal position sensor (which makes sense, seeing as I don't have one!)

Assuming this engine will fit in the GT, anyone have an opinion on whether this is a bad idea, based on too much hp and torque for the GT? Other cars I am considering would be a Datsun 240z or a BMW 2002 (yes, I know they're not Opels).

jtb

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dial it down

If you are running and able to make changes to the tables then it should be a fairly "simple" (LOL) procedure to make changes in the Desired Air Load tables to decrease the commanded torque. Now that is about as intelligent as I can be on this subject and I suggest you talk to Vince at Trifecta as dialing this engine back that far from the stock 260bhp/260ftlb tables might require some trickery for which Vince seems to have a special talent. FWIW He will be tuning my '10 Cobalt SS once I have all my parts purchased and installed. He has somewhat of a godlike status over on cobaltss.net and seems to be able to teach these little rocket motors to sit up, heel, roll over and fetch me a cold beer. LMAO.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts