Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did try a search and came up empty....maybe for good reason :rolleyes:

Are there any other vehicles that can be used as 'look up' keys at the auto parts counter for common maintenance items?
For example:
Points, condensor, and misc, ignition parts, brake pad, wheel bearings etc?

When the parts counter doesn't even list the opel, it makes it tough.....

I am going to get the 2 Opel GT's that I bought running, but I want to get some parts, and am having no luck at all....

Thanks,
Tim

·
1,219 Posts
Ask for a different parts guy. All of these parts are readily available at common parts stores (Autozone, advance, NAPA).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks DMC....
I called the local NAPA, a well established store (1st one in CA-75 yrs old), and have had very good luck with them, but when I asked for a set of points and cond., he said special order, and I would have to go to the store to pay before they could order...PITA!!
I'll try others....

Tim

·
Super Moderator
5,923 Posts
Tim240Z said:
Points, condenser, and misc, ignition parts, brake pad, wheel bearings etc?
When you ask for parts, have them check for Opel, and also Buick Opel. Buick imported them, and sometimes the listing is under Buick.

OK, ignition stuff (points, condenser, distributor cap) are pretty standard Bosch. Same as an air-cooled VW. Also, same as a German Capri 4 cylinder (early '70's). Get a Pertronix from BugStuff, and never buy points again.

Brake pads (as in front discs) are standard ATE (Alfred Teves Enterprises) fitment. I don't recall cross references, but there are several, and EVERY parts store I have checked (that has the Opel GT listed) had them in stock.

Rotors are a bit harder to get, but Brembo sells them (see the Parts Review board), and my local parts store was able to get them in a couple of days ($24 CAD each!).

Front Wheel bearings are also standard SKF spec. If your parts store doesn't have a listing, just pop off a rotor, and take the bearings and seal (change it at the same time) to a decent bearing supply store and they can easily match it up.

Rear bearings are a different matter. Older versions (pre-'71, roller bearing that runs directly on the axle shaft) are NOT available. Period. Later bearings (with the integral seal) are available from OGTS, but you also need the retainer rings.

I have an older (2002) Excel spreadsheet that somebody on the Yahoo! board put together with a bunch of cross references, including bearings and such. I'll e-mail it to Gary to see if he can make it a download in the Articles forum. Or, you can download it from the Yahoo! site (you have to become a member) at:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/classicopels/files/ Technical Information/

or go directly to:

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/INA3QR... Technical Information/GT Parts Oct 2002.xls

I have now added the latest spreadsheet in a .zip file below

HTH and good luck

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,923 Posts
No worries. I have to make up for screwing with Ron's head on the VIN tag placement.
Also have a look around the "Part Substitutes" forum at
http://opelgt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Oh yea, ignition wires are the same as an early '80's Mazda 626.

HTH

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
spread sheet

I have that same one but there are alot of items not available anymore on it and I do an edit as I find them or add new items to it. It is a great bit of work but in a few areas it is a little dated. It is in Excel for word and a must have article for any Opel owner.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts