Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know of a dealer close to holland?
i know ogts has a lot of this stuff, but then i have to ship it from america right? that will cost a lot... i'm just planning some things now to get it all in order for cost in total and stuff like that, gathering info. and in the summer i'll get my gt... and then save money for i think an engine first... there are some calibra 2.0 16v turbo's here, i can get them around 3000 euro... incl. a 6 speed gearbox... will this fit easy? i know i have to upgrade the brakes... what else? the rear axle... and the body? how... this is going to be my first project so like i said... just gathering some info

·
boomerang opeler
5,648 Posts
edjuh if you want new then try opel themself as they used them untill a few years ago in the frontera
if you want second hand then try your local junk/scrap yard/ auto dismantilers
they should have a find a part system on there computer that will trace a 2.4 for you

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and thats bolt in? i found the gertrag

5-Gang-Getriebe Getrag
Art.Nr.: 107330
mit Schalthebel einbaufertig umgebaut
Preis: 431,59 EUR

thats bolt in to... that wouldn't be to hard than... i don't know what those 2.4 engine's kost... but it wouldn't be that much 2nd hand i guess... maybe i can start the engine project this winter... and paint it later... but a 2.4... can that produce 150 hp on the wheels easy... (with carburetor) or should a 2.0 16v turbo be a better option,

·
Registered
132 Posts
Edjuh said:

5-Gang-Getriebe Getrag

thats bolt in to... that wouldn't be to hard than... i don't know what those 2.4 engine's kost... but it wouldn't be that much 2nd hand i guess... maybe i can start the engine project this winter... and paint it later... but a 2.4... can that produce 150 hp on the wheels easy... (with carburetor) or should a 2.0 16v turbo be a better option,
Definition of "Bolt In" - Only takes hours and hours of modifications to make fit.

With that in mind NOTHING is a bolt in except for the Original Parts. If you want a turbo motor it will be a tight squeeze. You should be able to get 150-200 Hp out of most 4 cyl motors with the right parts and No turbo. The trick is finding one that can take that much Hp and not explode. The engines I looked at were all GM (personal preference). With time and dedication you can put most anything in. Reminds me of the saying .... Where there is a will there is a way !!!

Good Luck on your project

·
boomerang opeler
5,648 Posts
Edjuh said:

5-Gang-Getriebe Getrag

thats bolt in to... that wouldn't be to hard than... i don't know what those 2.4 engine's cost... but it wouldn't be that much 2nd hand i guess... maybe i can start the engine project this winter... and paint it later... but a 2.4... can that produce 150 hp on the wheels easy... (with carburetor) or should a 2.0 16v turbo be a better option,
if all you have to do is swap the engine /box and have the prop shaft ens changed to match then the 2.4 cih is by far the easyest way to go if you go 2.0 16v turbo you for sure get more power but have months of work as all the bits and electronics have to be changed plus theres not a great deal of room for a turbo read nobodys thread on his winter project to see what he has to do to get a turbo in there
remember that we in europe have access to all the opel bits we want were as the poor americans have to import all the better bits so its much easyer for them to work and tune the stuff they had pre 1975

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
" have the prop shaft ens changed to match" :confused:

what does this mean? (dutch... sorry... and a newbie to!)

but the 2.4 cih... i read that u don't have to change the engine mounts to get it in... My dad says he can get it in, in about a week or so...
in the winter i don't want to drive the gt but get busy with it... interiors and engine... or paint it... i haven't made up my mind about that... i'm gonna search for tuning the 2.4... i wan't around 130/150 hp on the wheels if possible...

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Edjuh, Baz sometimes does get excited and in his haste does not proof read before he posts something. I do believe he meant that the drive shaft to transmission U-joint needs to be replace to mate the transmission to the driveshaft. HTH.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay... and how would you say that in a simpel way... as i see it... you have the engine... connected to the gearing... and thats connected to the drive shaft... and i need to get a u joint that connects the gearbox to the drive shaft... right? do you need to make this u joint... or can that be bought "bolt on" to?

if i'm correct, i buy a complete 2.4 block incl head and stuff... a gearbox... and a u joint... and bearings for everything... then i'm ready to install?

thnx for the explanations sofar... i'm reading on this site 3 hours a day to catch up with the ideas and whats been done... so eventually... i know what i'm talking to :) :rolleyes:

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
to use the getrag 5 speed in a GT with a stock rear end, you can use a origional driveshaft from a GT that origionally had a automatic, or you need a 4 speed opel driveshaft, and take it in to a driveshaft shop or a machine shop with capabilites of shortening the drifeshaft, and putting on a yolk that will fit in the getrag.

·
boomerang opeler
5,648 Posts
oops

de einden van de drijfas die in de versnellingsbak gaat zullen moeten worden veranderd om de nieuwe doos te passen en de lengte kan worden veranderd om de nieuwe droevige doos aan te passen ik vergat om voor u moeten toe te staan die Nederlands zijn
hope that is better

·
boomerang opeler
5,648 Posts
namba209 said:
Edjuh, Baz sometimes does get excited and in his haste does not proof read before he posts something. I do believe he meant that the drive shaft to transmission U-joint needs to be replace to mate the transmission to the driveshaft. HTH.
jim you know me i dont proof read anything
if i did it might start to make sense and where would we be then :D

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Opel Cam In Head Motors

All the Opel CIH motors have a similar size and will bolt up to the same gearboxes.

The earlier motors are 1.9 litres (original in the GT) and 2.0 litres (original after 1979 in Mantas, Asconas and Records)

The later motors are 2.2 litres (1986-87 Opels and Vauxhalls) and 2.4 litres ( some Opel Vans and Fronteras 1987-93)

The major difference between the early 1.9/2.0 and the later 2.2/2.4 motors is the positioning of the Inlet ports on the head. So that the early intake manifolds will not bolt up to the later heads - or the later ones to the early heads.

Most everything else will bolt up - the motors are externally the same except for the intake manifolds.

In the GT the 2.4 litre motor cannot be used with its fuel injection manifold because it is too tall.

The fuel injection from a 2.2 litre motor must be used as it is lower and bolts up to the 2.4 litre head. The earlier ones from the 1.9/2.0 litre motors do not.

Here is a picture of the Frontera 2.4 litre motor for identification.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what about a non FI 2.4... can that be done with the frontera engine? and have some webers on it... (i do ask a lot aren't i :rolleyes: ) i once heard the sound of some carburetted vw golfs... i liked it a lot... than i would need wich manifold?

parts sofar...
2.4 engine
gertrag 5 speed
driveshaft from AT gt

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
As far as the driveshaft is concerned many GM models had the same splines as a Getrag and are easier to find, if that helps at all.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Edjuh said:
what about a non FI 2.4... can that be done with the frontera engine? and have some webers on it... (i do ask a lot aren't i :rolleyes: ) i once heard the sound of some carburetted vw golfs... i liked it a lot... than i would need wich manifold?

parts sofar...
2.4 engine
gertrag 5 speed
driveshaft from AT gt
THe 2.4L motor can be fitted with Webers but the previous note about the difference between 1.9/2.0 litre and 2.2/2.4 litre cylinder head inlet ports means that the earlier weber manifolds don't bolt on (they can be welded and made to fit). There are Weber manifolds made for 2.4 litre heads in Europe.

Have a look at www.opeltuners.com - see the "Articles" section and the "Tuning Links" section. At the very bottom of the Tuning Links is David Jackson's Personal Site - very interesting racing engine building and the Weber Manifolds for a 2.4 are mentioned.

Also have a look at the bottom of this page and click on "2.4 Installation" thread down there.
Note: the motor mentioned is a 1.9 Litre modified into a 2.4 litre version and is made from 1.9 Litre parts - including the head so the Weber manifolds used would not bolt on to a 2.4 L head.

HTH

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
GTJIM said:
There are Weber manifolds made for 2.4 litre heads in Europe
i live in europe! thats handy :p wich manifold should i use? i'll try and search a bit... what can i expect from a 2.4, with webers on it... 130 hp ?

from ogts
"NEW" factory Opel engine. This is a very special Opel performance engine. The block is cast with 2.4 marks on left front side and uses Opel's most wanted forged steel crankshaft, special heavy duty rods and forged pistons. Increased torque and horsepower over the 2.2L. Direct bolt-up. No modifications required. All original 1.9L engine parts will directly mount to this engine. We do suggest the use of a 2.0L head for added horsepower. You can use up to 48mm intake valves and 41mm exhaust valves without modifying piston valve reliefs 95mm bore, 85mm stroke. Special order item

here they say u should have a 2.0 l head for added hp... but that the 1.9 should fit to... or ain't i understanding it...

·
boomerang opeler
5,648 Posts
its a short block (just the bottom with the crank and pistons in it )
so for the americans who have a 1.9 or 2.0 l engine they can swop the head and fly wheel to get a 2.4 engine for you it is easy to get a full 2.4 local and then add anything you want for extra performance :D

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
You could get up to 150HP with Webers tuned properly with a better cam and good exhaust system - the standard 2.4L motor is 125HP

That is just the Americans lust for higher compression! The 2.4 head is a good one for a street motor just like it is. The 1.9 will fit as will the 2.0 but the original 2.4 head has bigger valves and better intake ports than either of them.

You may find that a local Opel dealer can get you one of the 2.4L motors just like OGTS advertise as that is where they must get them from, in Europe!
Just see if they can supply a new motor for an Opel Frontera 2.4i - you might be able to get one without the fuel injection stuff on it - worth a try!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.