Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After an extended hiatus I'm back to the world of Opel GT's. The warming weather inspired me to move the bass boat out of the shop, clean the shop up, build some shelves and now I've got SPACE.

I've decided to take down my '72 for restoration. My goal is to completely paint the exterior, engine compartment and some of the interior. I will also have the engine re-built while it's removed and have new seals installed on the automatic transmission. I'm un-certain about the interior which is actually in pretty good shape considering the age. To pull the engine I'll have to remove to front end and there will be issues that will need to be addressed there. A new muffler and tail pipe will be in order.

Bottom line is that I'd like the car to remain as stock as possible and still have decent performance.

Is there a list available in this forum which details the proper sequence of dis-assembly? I'll also gladly accept any tips from forum members.

Glad to be back!

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
oldroadiedog, you do not have to pull the front end to remove the engine. All you have to do is disconnect the engine/tranny completely, leave the engine/tranny subframes attached to the frame, after everything is disconnected, use a cherry picker and lower the engine/tranny to the floor with subframes intact, raise the car in the front high enough for the engine/tranny to slide out and that's it. Take a look in the member's photo gallery, and you'll see a pic under my name (namba209) of the engine tranny coming out of my 72 GT. After the engine and tranny are out and the car is on jack stands, the front and rear assenblies can be removed, if needed. Be careful of the front spring, it can be dangerous. The rear-end is relatively easy to remove. HTH.

Ron

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
not expecting you to take the advice, most people wouldnt but if theres nothing you plan on doing to the front suspension and the only reason for taking it out is to take the motor out...well pull the motor out the top and the trans out the bottom while leaving the front suspension in. the lower 4 bellhousing bolts on both sides are easy to get to with socket, swivel and extension....the top two are fairyl easy to get with a regular 15MM wrench, only turned backwards from intended use. if you drop the exhaust you can pull the trans and bellhousing out pretty easy as one piece, if not then just seperate the trans from bellhousing and the bellhousing comes off fairly easy, take off clutch assembly for more clearance if you'd like, altho you dont need to, pull the radiator and starer, the rest of the motor can be pulled complete with minimal problems, if any. as you pull the motor up, move it forward and rotate it either clockwise or counterclockwise to clear the radiator support, it does not even have to be cut.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for letting me know about engine/trans removal.

Interesting...I was thinking about running out the fuel today (nice day for a drive) and found a splice on tha fuel line leaking this morning. It's drained now! Guess the car is ready to rebuilt.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Engne Removal

Just put "Engine Removal" in the Search Box to the left of here.

Click on "Advanced" then type in "Engine Removal" and click on GO.

Lots of good threads will turn up!

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
At the risk of starting this whole discussion up again (out the TOP? Or out the BOTTOM?), please have a look around for members' opinions for the best way. Or, just take my word for it (and the Official Factory Service Manual) and drop it out the bottom. In one piece, engine and tranny. Oops, too late, I started it again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts