Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right guys, here's the new hurdle. Seeing as I am only 18 I have not had much experience learning how to work on cars, that's actually why i bought my Opel. In following the tune-up section in my service manual I tested the compression. The results make sense to me as they are within 70% of the highest, but I dont see how that is ok. Here are the results:
1st test, cyl 1.....130, cyl 2.........95, cyl 3......95, and cyl 4....110
2nd test, cyl 1....120, cyl 2...........90, cyl 3.....95, and cyl 4....110

That seemed pretty consistent, next I add some oil to each cyl:
cyl 1.....160, cyl 2......130, cyl 3.....130, and cyl 4.....160.

Do theses results alarm any of you? I am really lacking in knowledge here.
Steven

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
The first thing is how many miles on the motor? Have you adjusted the valves? 1 and 4 are ok but I would look at your valve adjustement. Not to say that 2 and 3 are bad but I would take a look. I have seen compression in the 50s and it ran. yours is fine where it is. What you are looking for is a big change or all of them low. No need to worry but just a place to look to get a little better performance and mileage.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no idea how high the mileage is, its a 70 and reads 64,000, but it also came with another set of gauges, none of them work, I haven't cecked the valves or anything, i am just making a list of major things to do to the engine. thanks
Steven

1 - 3 of 3 Posts