Opel GT Forum banner
201 - 211 of 211 Posts

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,582 Posts
Hey Dan, the coil pack is mounted with the fins vertical. BUT, the question is about the module that mounts on the distributor.
I want to say I do remember mine getting hot.. but that was close to about the time it failed on me.

Maybe the gasket at the base, oil on the gears at the bottom and paint on the hold down are isolating it from a good ground.

Maybe see if a ground wire from the upper housing to the block or even the body might help, or clean the paint off the top of the timing chain housing and/or bottom of the clamp to see if you can get a better ground. Wouldn't hurt.

·
Opeler
951 Posts
I want to say I do remember mine getting hot.. but that was close to about the time it failed on me.

Maybe the gasket at the base, oil on the gears at the bottom and paint on the hold down are isolating it from a good ground.

Maybe see if a ground wire from the upper housing to the block or even the body might help, or clean the paint off the top of the timing chain housing and/or bottom of the clamp to see if you can get a better ground. Wouldn't hurt.
Their instructions do say it is grounded via the distributor housing. After you mentioned grounds yesterday, I added a temporary external ground using one of the clip screws. It didn't seem to get as hot as quick but after a short drive it was untouchable. I'm starting to think this is normal.

·
7,582 Posts
Their instructions do say it is grounded via the distributor housing. After you mentioned grounds yesterday, I added a temporary external ground using one of the clip screws. It didn't seem to get as hot as quick but after a short drive it was untouchable. I'm starting to think this is normal.
I can't imagine it is normal. I can imagine that it is the source of the failures some of us have had though.

I assume you have a good ground the engine from the body ?

Have you contacted them to double check if its normal ?

I think if a small ground helped maybe a #12 wire from the clamp bolt to the body would be even better. Taking care to make sure all contact points from distributor housing to the clamp bolt are clean and free of paint. Ditto with your engine to body ground. See a lot of bad things happen when the engine isn't grounded well. Especially on freshly painted cars where they are a 100% Positive the body has nice fat grounds. But, the bolt holes, engine and the body work are all covered in fresh soft paint. So what looks like a pretty ground wire, is decoration as either one or both ends are insulated by paint.

·
Opeler
951 Posts
I can't imagine it is normal. I can imagine that it is the source of the failures some of us have had though.

I assume you have a good ground the engine from the body ?

Have you contacted them to double check if its normal ?

I think if a small ground helped maybe a #12 wire from the clamp bolt to the body would be even better. Taking care to make sure all contact points from distributor housing to the clamp bolt are clean and free of paint. Ditto with your engine to body ground. See a lot of bad things happen when the engine isn't grounded well. Especially on freshly painted cars where they are a 100% Positive the body has nice fat grounds. But, the bolt holes, engine and the body work are all covered in fresh soft paint. So what looks like a pretty ground wire, is decoration as either one or both ends are insulated by paint.
I sent them a message over the weekend and am waiting for a response.

As for grounds, I have one good one to the engine from the body and another to the engine directly from the battery via a common ground block I've added.

·
7,582 Posts
I sent them a message over the weekend and am waiting for a response.

As for grounds, I have one good one to the engine from the body and another to the engine directly from the battery via a common ground block I've added.
Too many grounds.. ? Just kidding.. can't have too many

Speaking of that.. maybe the ground signal is too dirty. It is after all a small computer, maybe run a small ground wire from the latch, to the ground of the coil assembly and then all the way to the battery (-) and see if that makes a difference. Give the circuit its own clean ground. Couldn't hurt to try that.

·
Super Moderator
8,245 Posts
Two of my GT's have the Compufire installed. They were already installed when I bought the cars. Not my favorite because of the external box. I prefer the simplicity of the Pertronix. That doesn't mean it's inferior to the Pertronix OR that I will be replacing them with Pertronix units later. ;)

Harold

201 - 211 of 211 Posts