Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of y'all who are members of the Classic Opels on Yahoo will remember the nights we had long chats in the chat room till Yahoo changed things and made it a bit difficult to even use the chat room there. Well, there was a close knit group of us that was always there on Saturday night. One of which was Eddy Cailliau. Eddy is in Belgium. Eddy and I met several years ago, on the net, through the sale of a GT bumper, that Eddy was in need of. We struck up a deal, and when it was said and done, a wonderful friendship had been started. Eddy and I have spent long hours on ICQ talking Opels mostly, but, generally about most anything. We even designed a twin tailpipe set-up for my wife's Sportwagon, which Eddy made out of stainless steel and sent it to me. Eddy has a good hand at fabricating and metal working. One of the things we often talked about was meeting face to face. As this was an expensive undertaking, it got no further than just an idea. Well, a week ago this finally came true, as Eddy and his girlfriend, Els, flew here to Atlanta to vacation for almost two weeks. Eddy is the type of friend that would give you the last dollar in his pocket, or the shirt off his back. He has helped me in many deals on EBAY involving people who won't ship to the US, or paying for an auction by bank transfer. I have done the same for Eddy several times in getting things cheaper than he could get in Europe. Eddy has also gotten several 5-spds for me. It was an honor and a priviledge to finally meet Eddy. This is what being in the Opel community is about! :) :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Great Job!!

Gene,

It is great to hear you and Eddy got together, sorry I missed him. You are right about this is what being in the Opel community is about!! :D Were else can you go and get advice on wiring for a GT from someone that considers sheep "lice on the land" (I think that is what GTJim said) and political advice from a person the drinks beer room temp, drives on the literally the right side of the road and thinks a boot is something to put your bags in!!

For the folks that do not know you, in the photo Gene is the tall one on the left!! ;)

So, when are you going to return the favor and head over to Belgium!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
That's great! and what a trip for Eddy and Els to make. Good friends for sure.... GENE! YOU SHAVED!! :D :D

(ummm, don't suppose Eddy brought any more 5-speeds with him? just joking :p )

·
Super Moderator
9,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ging;
I didn't shave, I had just trimmed it the night before. I don't want to lose my charter membership in the BGOC. That's (B)ig (G)uy's (O)pel (C)lub, right Todd, Rick? :D :D

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Freely shared knowledge

Really cool story, Gene. That IS what this little obsession, and the resultant gathering here, is all about after all. There are too many "unsung heroes" to list here, those who will share a wealth of knowledge with you, expecting absolutely nothing in return.

Hope everyone reads this thread to know that their shared knowledge, too, is appreciated by all. It's what drives this site!

·
114 Posts
a great story indeed,seems a bit strange to see Eddy in the States on
the internet,I got to know Eddy as well
he lives only 6 km from my home and I can imagine what Gene meens,
a good friend allready in such short time(aprox 1 year)
opelers are a great bunch off people even when oceans are in between ;)

·
792 Posts
Just guessing here....
Eddy is on the right? The other guy looks like a big ole southern boy!
Seriously... the Opel community is great and I too have benefited from people across the pond with the same disease...Opelitis!

·
Opeler
44 Posts
connections

To all members,
We had a great time when we were in Georgia (friendly people :) nice weather :cool: much BIG car's :eek: . It was a honor for us too to meet YOU Gene! I don't know anymore how many hours I spend on my pc in the Classicopels-chatroom, on ICQ, on the mailinglist ect. but I do now that every hour was worth the effort: that made that we became friends.
Just wanted to say "thank you" to Gene, Rudy (tunepipe) and all of you that replied on this thread.
Eddy

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Thank You Eddy!!!!!

Eddy,
I really appreciate your generous gift!
Glad to hear you had a great stay here in the USA. I'm really sorry I was unable to meet up with you guys.
Thanks again!
Todd K.
PS...the Corsendonk was to die for! I had to attach this picture of the contents so Gene can get an idea of the sort of packages he's sending around in this country!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JEEZ;
Like "Smokey and the Bandit", y'all got me transporting booze :D :D
Glad to know that they arrived intact Dude! Enjoy!!! :)
Gene
"10-4 good buddys!"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.