Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For the two, Hex head screws (or bolts) That fasten the sides of the control panel, what do they thread into or are nuts and bolts needed? I guess they go through a tab on the dashpad and an aluminum tab on the control panel at each lower corner but I don't see any tapped thread.

Also, what are the size, thread and length of these screws?

I've installed a new (restored) dashpad and am now installing the control panel. The panel is mostly installed but I need to install these fasteners and two sheet metal screws that don't seem to thread into anything yet. The rest are installed. Looks pretty good.

Does anybody know the correct length of the bolts that fasten the seats on a GT, the inboard ones?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
At the bottom of the instrument panel, on either side of the brake light panel there are two 90 degree tabs that are threaded for a standard 10mm head bolt. The bolts go through the tabs on the dash pad and screw into the tabs on the instrument panel. For the instrument panel screws, there are slip on receivers for the sheetmetal screws that hold the instrument panel in place. I can take pics tomorrow if needed and I'll try to find the bolts for the instrument panel also. The seat bolts are an 11 mm head bolt, standard 8mm thread about an inch long, hard to come by, but a 12mm bolt head will work, it's just a bit harder to get a wrench or socket on them. I'll try to find them also and get the thread and length measurement for you. I'm gonna have to start rounding up all the parts anyway, to start the re-assembly of the GT when it gets back from paint Tuesday.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Neat Trick

BDD said:
Does anybody know the correct length of the bolts that fasten the seats on a GT, the inboard ones?
Use M8 X 1.25 (pitch) Allen head cap screws 20mm long. This makes it soooo much easier to fit and remove them with a 6mm Allen Key. Also dab a tiny bit of anti-seize on the threads too and the next time someone takes them out they will bless you!

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Here are the pics of how the insturment panel is attached to the dash. The lower tabs on the instrument panel are threaded, the ones in the dash are not, so they will go outboard of the ones on the instrument panel. The other pic is of the clips that the screws on the face of the instrument panel go into. HTH.

Attachments

·
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a spare control panel that had the aluminum tabs on the bottom. I took one of them to the hardware store and found that a 5mm .80 thread (from memory) cap screw fit. I got them 20 mm long and got allen head ones that a 4 mm allen wrench fits and hex heads in case they worked better figuring that I could start them in a socket wrench extension by hand first. The passenger side one went in fine after a few tries. Need a magnet to retrieve it when it falls off the allen wrench. The other side is harder to get to. The screw location is hidden behind the dash pad.

When instrument stnd offs break due to brittle plastic I find that "Zap" cyanoacrylate FOR PLASTIC works well. Most super glues won't bond plastic and only cause it to haze up. Epoxy might work but didn't try it. It would have lessened the chances of the cyanoacrylate of having a clean surface to bond to if i had tried it first and it doesn't work with all plastics.
"Zap" is used for model airplane construction and you can find it at hobbyshops or at their homepage I'd imagine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts