Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Past Opel GT Owner
81 Posts
I found this a while back on YouTube

YouTube - Opel EV Conversion - 1
I watched the 10 videos that were posted between 1 & 3 years ago. They are both interesting and at times funny for the back and forth banter between the husband and wife. Unfortunately the last post was a year ago and nothing more has been uploaded. He has the body work and paint pretty much done and had the electric motor working and car crudely drivable, but had the motor controls, glass and interior to finish. I will be checking to see if he ever posts more parts to the saga and hopefully he will finish it.

·
1,584 Posts
In the mid 70' you could by kits that used Jet engine starters ( Good For 7500 rpm's ) and used battery's from ele. bucket lifts and had to be used on manual trans. only and a 14 HP gas engine to recharge the batterys so you still had lights, wipers, etc.,
but you had no engine braking down hills and you need ele. vacuum pump for brake booster and you would need a heater sys. for cold weather .... not many consumer comforts . HTH
John

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
Jet Engine Opel

A number of years ago I saw one at the Tacoma Opel show that was on a trailer that had some type of jet engine. I hear they fired it up but I was not there to see it.

For me, that is like taking an Opel shell and putting it on a monster truck.
Not my thing... I am a 'stock' girl.

·
Driver
987 Posts
There is a guy here in Austin that is working on a GT EV conversion. Not sure if he is on the site or not. He is physically in the early stages but I think he has all the planning completed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, count me in.

I will be converting a 72 Opel to electric.

I'll post pictures, videos, and tips. If there is interest, I'll machine extra parts for others that may follow.

Second to the Lotus Elise, this is the best car to convert!

·
Past Opel GT Owner
81 Posts
There is an interesting and cute YouTube set of Video's labeled "Opel EV Conversion 1-10" that start here.

Follow the others through number 10

There is an "Opel GT - EV Overview" after the project is pretty much done here.

·
Über Genius
8,967 Posts
Great conversion.

The videos have a lot of superfluous things but gives you a general idea of the build. I would have loved to see more technical aspects video'd but understand that a 3 year project can't cover it all.

I wonder how much was invested in the conversion (minus the tools).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here's most of what you need. The cost price typically includes shipping. The battery equipment was left off on purpose, due to the choices of the builder.

$7,100 plus batteries is a good place to start.

A great LiFePO4 pack can cost 10k or more!

Warp 9 motor: 1,800
Zilla controller: 2,800
Adaptor plate(s): 550
Motor coupler: 350
Dc converter: 200
Fuse & contactor: 200
Instrumentation: 300
Cables & lugs: 200
brake vacuum pump: 200
Incidentals: 500
Battery charger:
Battery pack:
Accessory pack:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm not sure where he lives in Texas, but if I did, I'd let him answer that anyway.

I'll invite him to the site.

·
Driver
987 Posts
Lubbock

I actually found him on this EV site. He is in Lubbock, TX. I sent him a message and invited him to join the Texas Opel group as well as this one a month or so ago. Haven't heard from him yet.
Charlie's 1973 Opel GT

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm already a member here!

Hey guys I'm already a member here. I have the electric '73 Opel GT.
It's on the road and driven daily except for the last two weeks. (I prefer driving a front wheel drive car in ice and snow). Plus I'm working cleaning up some of the wire mess under the hood.

My videos were spanned out over three years due to cost and pending technology (batteries).

I invested about $15000 in the car ($12000 in conversion and rest in restoration).
The batteries cost me $5000 and by my current calculations I should get 16 yrs out of them. I painted the car myself, got free machine work done too so I did save money there.

The conversion was really simple to do and could be done again in 120 hrs or less.

The car runs very well and easily out performs the original GT.

Any questions just ask I'll be happy to answer.

Charlie

·
Driver
987 Posts
Charlie,
Great car! We don't generally have our Texas Opel meets near Lubbock, or within your 50-60 mile range, but we would love to have you come to one of the meets. Maybe we could have a meet in Lubbock! It's about 350 miles for me in Cedar Park. I have driven farther. :)
Thanks for documenting your conversion. Looks like you and your wife had fun. :haha:

·
Opeler
1,420 Posts
Very nice work on both the car and on the video! Thanks for posting it. I am in Lubbock several times a year and might contact you to see your GT if you don't mind.
Bob

·
Registered
296 Posts
Very cool indeed. I've been dreaming about a "through the wheel" hybrid for quite a while, since I had some e-mail contact with the guy who runs the White Zombie. One of the big DC motors has a 'insert' option where you shorten your driveline by the length of the motor plus a bit, and insert the electric into the drive system. Then you can use your original motor, get regen braking, and use a monster torque boost when desired. An Opel GT would be nearly ideal for this mod, as the electric motor would be pretty close to the CG of the car. Put Li batteries fore and aft in empty spaces, and you'd have a dang nice hybrid.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts