Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Conversion : 1.9 - 2.4

I recently thought about converting my 1.9 stock engine, to a 2.4 fuel injection. Lots of different reasons.. I'm builiding my GT to my likings, and if its not 100% stock, it won't bother me all too much. Good things about the undated engine: Less problems, more power, more speed. Just seems like a good swap to me. Anyone ever converted theirs to a 2.4? How much are the costs? How much could you get for a perfectly running, 30K mile engine? If anyone is interesting in a trade or buying my engine, email me!

[email protected]

·
Super Moderator
6,024 Posts
Are you asking about doing a 2.4 conversion? As in, boring it out and stroking so that the 1.9 now displaces 2.4 litres? Or are you asking about a straight swap (the 2.4 is a somewhat different engine)?

Both have been done, and discussed here extensively. Bob Legere wrote an excellent article on the conversion and it can be found at the OANA site:

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/oana/tech/24l.pdf

The conversion is somewhat more problematic, as you still have the 1.9 head and the crank is considerably modified from stock. The trick to this, I suspect, is to find a machine shop that REALLY know their business. Not for the faint of heart, nor faint of pocketbook.

As for the 2.4 swap, the engines are available from OGTS, and is a pretty straight forward swap from what I have seen (there were several 2.4's at the OMC Picnic this summer). You can also buy them directly from Europe, but that is probably more difficult than the actual engine swap.

HTH

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi again, I was talking about actually purchasing a new 2.4 liter engine, and replacing the 1.9 with the new one. How much would a complete engine change cost from OGTS?

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
You just have to call them, their prices vary on used motors, depending on the condition that they are in. They have everything from NOS 2.4 block$$ to low mileage engine/5-speed/FI combos

The swap isnt going to be cheep, I would expet to spend at least $2K on the motor and FI.....including shipping and other misc stuff that you will have to do.....you will need to go with a larger diameter exhaust system.

however the Opel Motor swaps are relativly cheep when compared to the prices of Porsche, Jag, alfa motors.
But then again most of us Opelers got bitten by the Opel bug partially because they are cheep to buy. At least I did.....

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
my 2.4 . . . not completely finished yet.

Don't know exact costs, but not cheap and VERY labor and fabrication intensive. All the original pieces will fit with stock brackets, as everything is in exactly the same location, but I would not recommend this to the faint of heart in fabrication.

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
well if you are worried about the complexity of fuel injection then you can just use a carb, and the 5-speed conversion is really simple....if you buy the whole conversion kit. I installed the getrag in my gt in a few hours, and it was all just bolt in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm converting one now

I'm in the process of installing an Opel 2.4L from OGTS. My original plan was to replace my failing 1.9 with a rebuilt 2.4. Because I can't really rebuild it myself, I thought it might be cheaper to swap than rebuild.

Once you start putting a bigger, more modern engine in you find that you need lots of other upgrades. First you decide to go with FI because it is a nice modern convenience. Next you go with the 5spd Getrag because the 4 spd just won't take the power. Then you get bigger brakes for safety because it goes faster. This means you need the bigger wheels so the calipers fit. You find you need a better radiator to cool the bigger engine. That stock exhaust just doesn't have enought flow, so replace that with something custome. By the time you've gone there you might as well lower it and beef up the suspension.

That's what happened to me, except that I got suckered into buying the Irmscher version of the 2.4L which then needed a rebuild which brought me back where I was before I started. The exhaust manifold has a crack, so I decided to buy headers from Opels Unlimited.

I'm just about ready to put the engine and trany back in and try out the fuel injection.

Because I have to have others do most of the work, it's costing a fortune. I doing this because I love my Opel. I had one in high school (more than 20 years ago), but never had the money or skills to fix her up right. Now I do have the means and I want to honor the memory of my old friend.

Some of the things that you would to do for the conversion :
- make the hood latch smaller
- if not '73, you will need to run a return fuel line for you FI
- add compatible fuel pump
- wire the FI (diagrams available)

It's better to call OGTS for a complete list...

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Re: Adding FI and 2.2/2.4 heads

davidmor said:
I'm in the process of installing an Opel 2.4L from OGTS. . . .

Once you start putting a bigger, more modern engine in you find that you need lots of other upgrades. First you decide to go with FI because it is a nice modern convenience. . . .

I'm just about ready to put the engine and trany back in and try out the fuel injection.

. . .

Some of the things that you would to do for the conversion :
- make the hood latch smaller
- if not '73, you will need to run a return fuel line for you FI
- add compatible fuel pump
- wire the FI (diagrams available)

It's better to call OGTS for a complete list...
2.2/2.4 heads - Nobody's mentioned this but, if also using a 2.2/2.4 head, the intake ports are raised 1/2" for better flow, exhausts are the same as earlier heads. Can't use any of the 1.9/2.0 carb intakes! You're relegated to using later FI (can't use '75 FI for the same reason) or modifying/fabbing an early intake.

Using FI - One of the areas easily overlooked when installing FI, regardless of year, is the SIZE of the return line to the tank. Return line MUST BE at least the SAME size of the pressure line so it doesn't become "regulating" due to restricted flow back to tank. DO NOT connect FI return line to '73 tank return line, it's too small and will "regulate" system fuel pressure to a degree because of it. :mad:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts