Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I thought I finally got the Manta wired up right. The ignition switch seemed to be finally working correctly so I went to 7/11 to get a can of gas to prime the carb. When I came back the coil was bubbling and there were lots of burnt up wires. Most of the wire were ones I made as I was trying to put a Manta that has seen some track time back to electrical stock enough for the street since they had hacked up the wiring harness.

Well replace all the wires (again) and double-checked everything. Found 5 more cut wires in the harness which I had to crack open in the engine compartment (the interior is already splayed all over). It would start but not run or either run only if I held the key on or would crank in the first position and the starter would not kick off for the third day in a row.

Opelbits came by poked about here and there and finally came to realize I was going to continue be stubborn (and stupid) and not use a ohm, volt meter and or testing light to correctly solve the problem and got into the process of elimination process with me one wore at a time. He noted that there was a large plywood wall in the garage I am in and it would be easy to pin the harness up on the wall and fix everything. I of course opted to lay on my back under the steering wheel, all crunched up in the corner for hours on end so I could continue to spill hot solder and drop the branding iron I use as a shop light shop on myself several times instead

After watching me squirm a bit. He correctly diagnosed the problem and drolly pointed out that one of the cut wires was a resistor wire (which for some reason loops hither and yon all over the interior). So whatever wire I had hooked up to the coil was wrong. We still don’t know what the wire I was using does. In my defense much of the harness is not original and most of the replacement wires are one color, black.

Well the coil that I had cooked was out of a dodge before it was in the parts manta and I guess didn’t need a resistor or the car that it came out of had a wire I don’t remember as I pulled it last year and I hacked the harness up to make this one right.

Well to make a long story short 36 hours, 3 starters, 2 coils and 1 and ¾ wiring harness later the car runs with a stock engine. The engine compartment wiring has been cleaned up and tomorrow I will start in on the gauges and lights…. This thing just might…maybe with a lot of luck be finished this year.

·
Detritus Maximus
3,114 Posts
Calvin-
Couldn't stop reading, your update was electrifying. :D

ravn99-
Let me know if you need any help. I've been through major parts of the GT harness. Especially the headlights/engine compartment.

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey thanks alot for the offer. This weeks hurdle is the other engine. I am going to peak peformance with the buick opel shop manual to put the engine together monday so we can see if the valves clear or do we have to do anything with the piston notches as they seem to be having a bit of trouble getting an opel engine back together.

Calvin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts