Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Reborn Opeler
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cool storage

I found an unused storage space on my GT.

I removed the back floor piece which was particle board and heavy, and made a replica with a hatch door out of 3/4 plywood. Now I have a carpeted, rattle free area foor the jack, lug wrench, misc. tools and supplies. While I was at it I remodeled the rear storage with a hinged plywood door with a table end support to hold it open. I carpeted it all and am now working on a heavy duty battery strapping system.

Here is my pics.

Todd

·
Registered
28 Posts
Awesome, i've heard of this space before, but never knew if it was truly there and how useful it was.. but maybe will i getting stereo in i'll have em check out that area. also, is it just me or r there no pics there?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I reccomend electrical tape and wd-40 get crammed in there as well. It is helpful.....and you may need it eventually. Also, I store a gallon of water in next to my spare tire, its amazing what you can carry when you move stuff a little. But I agree, the lid is heavy.....

·
Reborn Opeler
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh I've got that covered. I am assembling a tool box with all tools necessary to rebuild the engine on the side of the road along with lots of bailing wire, JB weld, a few fire extinguishers(one for the initial explosion, then the rest for me).

If someone could hold my hand and walk me through picture preparation for attachment I would greatly appreciate it.

Did you know fire extinguisher powder tastes like baking soda?

Todd

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am computer illeterate so I cant help with the pics, and you probally shouldnt be eating anything out of a fire extinguisher, baking soda or not....
If you are that sure that the car will explode, you have a few other issues, not including the ones you will have if you have to rebuild your engine on the side of the road. There are few repairs that can count as "side of the road fun" .......

·
Reborn Opeler
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know it will explode, I just anticipate it's explosion. As to why I know what fire extinguisher powder tastes like is because I tasted it........back in '85 my ameter started acting funny, and engine started cutting out and lights dimmed. So being the intelligent pothead that I was back then I deemed the ameter bad and bypassed it on the fuse panel with a heavy jumper across the terminals with the brass nuts.and it worked fine until....our late night party was disturbed by the apartment manager banging on the door, so after all the parraphinalia was cleaned up I opened the door just as she said "YOUR CAR IS ON FIRE!!".
Apparently the ameter wire in the dash was shorting to ground, and this lead to the 10 gauge wire from the starter positive connection to glow red and ignite the old fuzzy factory fuel line hose adjacent to the wire. This lead to the plastic fuel line melting, then I had myself a full fledged gravity fead gasoline fire on the ground under the hood.
As I lept across the parking lot I saw what looked like a good old Nazi book burning party, but turned out to be my baby with flame jetting ot of the fender wells and louvers on the hood.
That was the first time that I tasted the powder because it was flying everywhere. Thank god all those people at the book burning were smart enough to bring them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
well it appears as though you havedone a great job! Very nice! As to nazi book burning, I hope nothing like that happens again...to you or to me or anyone else for that matter. Tell your helper good job and give em a cookie!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts