Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
newly running GT

I just got my GT to run! But now I am having trouble with radiator/thermostat? dont really know which it is but i can tell you what is going on. The radiator is full of water but it isn't circulating through the upper radiator hose. it just stays empty. HELP!!!

Also, after i took the opel for a quick spin around the block, I start to wash it in my driveway. One of my neighbors started to tell me about how he loves them and used to have an MG and a Mini and such. After he leaves, some guy i dont know just drives up and stops at my driveway, gets out and starts to tell me about his old opels and how he has a manta and has a friend who has a Kadett. The reason i said this is that the GT has been running for only 2 days, and I've already had like 15 people tell me how they used to have one or how cool it looks or ask me what it is! Thats all. Later!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nope. When the thermostat is out, nothing happens. The water just stays there. And the upper hose still stays empty

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I hate to mention the obvious but have you checked the water pump? Take the thermostat housing off, take the belt off of the alternator water pump pulleys and manually turn the water pump. If the pump is bad, nothing as far a water is going to move. If it is the pump, OGTS have replacements.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah

You know, I have an inkling that that is the problem, but i dont want it to be. I just bought a new one so WTF! You know... But that is most likely the problem. Just wanted to see if anyone else had an idea. I spent 85 bucks, so im preying to god that it isnt the water pump :D

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
Is it possible that you haven't completely filled the block with coolant? If the block has air in the coolant passages, it is possible the pump is air locked. Try removing the thermostat, and fill the block up via the thermostat opening. Then reinstall it all, filling the rad to "just" into the filler neck.

HTH

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
here is another thing to check, and if it didn't happen to me, I wouldn't be telling you about this. I put a new water pump on my sister's Manta and it ran hot, changed hoses, thermostats, radiators, EVERYTHING! But, my last check and I was doing it just to be sure, in my mind, that everything was as it was supposed to be, only to find that the impeller on the back side of the pump was not locked to the pulley in front!!!!! This was a new out of the box pump, I kid you not, so, check it just to be sure.
Gene

1 - 7 of 7 Posts