Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 70 GT 5 blade fan and a 73 1900 wagon 8ish blade (didn't count but there are several more) fan. Which would be a better choice for my auto-x GT? I could also try an electric, but I'd like to just get the thing togeather to work out the bugs before our first event.

TIA

Dan

·
Super Moderator
9,743 Posts
Dan;
The other fan Opel had was a 7 blade fan. Only the 75 F.I. models had a clutch type fan, but, I think it had 7 blades too. But, the clutch type needs the 75 water pump to mount it. I have always used the 7 blade, to me it pulls more air. I have never had any problems in 25+ years of driving Opels. As for the electric, there are many in this club that have used them, you'd have to get their opinion as to what type, and mounting they used.
Gene

·
Registered
84 Posts
if you're autoXing, I would think electric is the way to go. It certainly won't draw power from your engine as the stock fan does. I'm looking into doing this same thing, myself.

·
Super Moderator
13,818 Posts
Good choice. The electric fan only draws power (electrical via the alternator) when the fan is running. The fan will probably not come on autocrossing until your run is over.

Bob

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Along this same thread- here in Houston, my 71 GT runs hotter than normal in the summer. I purchased a cowl to place around my fan blade- will this help me run cooler in the summer?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably. New rubber that goes between the core support and hood will help too.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Dan said:
Probably. New rubber that goes between the core support and hood will help too.
Hello??? There is suppose to be rubber between the radiator and the hood???:confused:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, if it is not there air can flow over the core support and take away from what would be going through the radiator.

Another trick is to put a vertical panel below the radiator, much like most chevrolets run to create a low pressure area below the engine/behind the radiator.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts