Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

I was reading all the responses to GTSmooth's posting about not cooling and I had an idea. My Honda Accord has a coolant vent installed at the point in the engine where the coolant reaches the highest level (elevation). When topping off the coolant I just loosen the vent screw and fill the radiator until the coolant comes out of the vent then tighten and cap. This allows most of the air out while filling. Now the question. Could something like this be installed in the top of the thermostat housing? Sure would be convenient. I know things have to be taken into account like softness of the housing, thickness of the housing and clearance between the bottom of the new valve and the top of the thermostat. Just an idea. What do you think?

Dan (aka. Ging's husband)

·
Über Genius
9,367 Posts
All it would take is the proper drill bit, tap and a fitting. You may be on to something

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Dan, it would be a good idea, when the thermostat housing was new. But I've had them fall apart after taking them off because of excess corrosion. They get very brittle and would be suspect trying to drill, then tap it out. JMTCW.

Ron

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
coolant

Dan;
Prestone makes something like what you're wanting to do, but, installs in the heater hose. It's a system that allows you "back-flush" your coolant system and get it ALL good and clean, including the heater too. It has a adaptor that you mount, in-line on your heater hose, and you can attach your garden hose to pressure flush the system out. I have used this for years in all my Opels, works great. But, when you go to fill the system back up, ou leave the top off the adaptor while filling and add fluid till you see it run clear out the adaptor, like what you described with the Honda, then you cap off the adaptor and viola! It's available at all parts houses in various hose sizes. Check it out.
Gene

·
Super Moderator
13,839 Posts
If you look at my photo here http://www.opelgt.com/vb3/attachment.php?attachmentid=2223 , you'll see I drilled the thermostat housing for a vent line. I'm running that vent to a surge tank, as well as another vent from the top of the radiator. So my filler cap will be at the surge tank, the highest point in the cooling system.

HTH

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
Bob,

What is the unit on the far left? I haven't seen that before?

Also, I see you have injector brackets. Have you upgraded to any other injectors other than the standard injectors Opel used? The reason for asking was, I was talking with some of the folks at RC Engineering about a replacement for the 2.0 lt injectors I'm running. It sounds like the new might have similar if not slightly more fuel input.

Thanks
Chris

·
Super Moderator
13,839 Posts
I made a custom vent tube for the crankcase breather from the side cam cover, it goes to a remote breather tank, and the drain from the tank feeds back into the turbo drain line, which goes back to the oil pan. So it's a self-recovering oil vapor/breather system.

If you go through the entire 'Quest for Carlisle' thread, you'll see I make mention of the injectors I used a few times, they're hose-barb style low ohm injectors, so they're direct-fit. But they are 380 cc's, which is way more than stock. Don't bother putting bigger injectors into a stock L-Jetronic system, you have no way of remapping to control fuel flow at lower rpms and part throttle.

BTW, the older 1.9 injectors have slightly more fuel flow than the newer 2.0 (yellow) injectors. If you're making less than 160hp (double a '75's hp rating), stock 1.9 Opel injectors flow enough fuel.

Bob

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
The thing I found out is the 1.9 ltr injectors are available, but the 2.0 ltr (yellow) are impossible to find here in the states. I did buy some 2.0 ltr injectors off a guy in the UK and had them shipped over.

·
Super Moderator
13,839 Posts
Make sure the impedance is correct, or you'll fry the ECU. Do you have a 2.0 ECU or 1.9?

·
792 Posts
Hey Bob
Great pics!!! can you elaborate on the definition of "surge " and the other typical opel parts in your pic (left to right) that you have modified? Living in the Arizona desert keeping cooling systems at peak performance is "muy importante"

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i have a "T" in my heater hose and its got a cap on it that screws off and on. when i need to fill my GT with water, i take this cap off and fill it until the water starts to come out of it, then put the cap back on. it fills up alot faster when it has somewhere other than the radiator to push the air out, and you have a lot less likely hcance of getting air in the system.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Injectors

The 1.9 injectors are Bosch 280 150 105 which are the same as the early Jaguar V12 injectors - enough for three Opel sets of them on a V12!

·
Super Moderator
13,839 Posts
azopelnut said:
Hey Bob
Great pics!!! can you elaborate on the definition of "surge " and the other typical opel parts in your pic (left to right) that you have modified? Living in the Arizona desert keeping cooling systems at peak performance is "muy importante"
Commonly called a 'surge' tank or expansion tank, it's just a high point that collectively allows air to bleed to the top of the system, rather than trapping it in the head, radiator, etc. I have an aftermarket aluminum radiator with no filler, therefore I needed a filler point anyway, so I went with an aftermarket surge tank with a billet filler neck and a 21 psi lever-type cap. All hoses are aluminum/silicone to handle the increased pressures.

It has one inlet from below....I'm teeing off my 'hot' side of the heater hoses, running through the turbo coolant housing, and entering the underside of the tank. I will also have the aforementioned air bleeds from the thermostat and the radiator. Then there is an overflow fitting from the top of the surge tank itself, that will go to an overflow bottle. You'll see this type of system on watercooled VW's and whatnot, they just use a plastic tank instead of metal like mine. I'll have photos tonight of the tank, I just spent a few hours last night at the chrome shop polishing all my aluminum parts. Helps to know the owner...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts