Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i have a used one off a 73 GT if your interested in used parts. if not i'd give OGTS a call.... 1-800-OPEL-GTS....1800-673-5487

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
If memory serves, and I could be wrong, any GM or Chrysler coil with an external ballast resistor should work. Ford coils all had an internal resistance built into the coils, hence no need for the ballast resistor. HTH.

Ron

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Here is a subject that can have a boat load of variables. To start do you have points still or an aftermarket ignition trigger? Stock coil is under 2 ohms of resistance and uses the stock resister wire. Crane 3000 units work with pretty much anything, Crane 700s and Petronics all want to use either a 3 ohm coil or an external resister, Crane wanting lowered voltage to the control and Petronics wanting full voltage to everything. I guess what I'm trying to tell you is to look at what you have now and what you want to use in the future to help determine what is best. If you are looking at bone stock wiring and points then a Chrysler or GM unit meant for a V-8 have around 1.5 ohms and work well for stock setups. 4 cylinder US coils typically have too much resistance to be used on a stock Opel. Now with this said it's up to you to define correct.

·
Registered
17 Posts
How many volts does the stock coil put out? Early mazda RX-7's run dual 2 ohm res. coils. They should work real well. Cheap too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts