Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone tried putting one of these into and opel? I know its a ford motor....and i really shouldn't be putting it into an my GT, but it has some power. It came out of an old t-bucket, and the front wheels would come off the ground with no problem with this 4 banger....so it makes me want it in my opel. supposedly around 250 hp, which is amazing considering the aluminum block and total weight of about 250 lbs. please help me out here. Thanks.

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
The layout is very similar to the Opel DOHC motor. You would have to contend with the distributor, and the motor is quite a bit wider since it is a crossflow DOHC head. There are also a coupple different Cosworth motors out there. I wouldn't expect this motor to be very reliable.

I think, judging on availability and reliability, the Ecotec motor would be a better swap. Not too much work would be involved to bump it up to 250hp. I am looking into the Ecotec swap myself, just trying to find the correct tranny to mount to it.

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
spdkilz02 said:
now what did that come in
The Ecotec comes in the new Chevy Cobalt, Caviler, Malibu, Sunfire... Ect. It is also the motor used in the Opel Speedster.

The aweseome thing is that they go for under $500 on ebay with under 20k miles on them.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
its a very good engine and can be chipped to 500bhp + :D with bigger injectors and a turbo change ,size wise its about the same as the cih but the manifolds make the whole thing quite wide but will still fit a gt :D i think
ignition is by packs so no dizzy to play with but you will need the harness and ecu to run it
for a box use the mustang t-5 and for the rear axel the deity of your choice only knows

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,874 Posts
baz said:
its a very good engine and can be chipped to 500bhp + :D with bigger injectors and a turbo change ,size wise its about the same as the cih but the manifolds make the whole thing quite wide but will still fit a gt :D i think
ignition is by packs so no dizzy to play with but you will need the harness and ecu to run it
for a box use the mustang t-5 and for the rear axel the deity of your choice only knows
Baz, I wonder if he's refering to a different engine? The Ford Cosworth engine you guys in the UK got is based on an old 2.0 litre Pinto cast iron block as I recall.

'69 GT is claiming his Cosworth has an aluminum block, therefore that would probably make it racing-based rather than production based, right? I'm not up on the Cosworth lingo, but perhaps it's a true competition engine? I know they have BDA's, FVA, FVC, DFV, etc., but don't know 'what is what'.

Any input Baz?

Bob

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
oops! missed that bob
i will look into that but i think all the sierra cossy engines are steel block, will have a look at the 500 block as they were special
could it be from an american car (did the chevy vaga have a cossy engine at 1 time?)
this site will run you through the engines and codes :D
http://www.turbocharger.co.uk/
from past experience haven drove 1 stock and 1 tuned they would make the gt or manta sing :D
also had a go of the RS200 now thats a car :D

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
theres a chevy cosworth vega that runs around my town. i've never got to speak with the owner, seems to be a "earlier" vega, black with gold pinstriping and says "COSWORTH DOHC" on the fenders.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes, the vega did have the cosworth at one time. I really dont know much about this motor yet, but i will post some pics soon, and will look into the serial number so i can figure out what it is. all i know is that it is a aluminum block and it nearly puts out as much power as the thing weighs...keep the opel light...but powerful...sounds good to me

·
Opeler
9 Posts
Cosworth Vega

I used to race a 75? Cosworth Vega with my 70 GT on occassion in Springfield MO it was very fast, but the owner could not drive it to it's potential and I would thrash him most of the time. My GT was not even close to stock and ran some low 15's in the quarter at the time (better driver and much better looking car!!!!) :)

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Performance!

If that is a Cosworth Vega motor then you have a rare and powerful beauty!
The Vega block was aliuminium and the head designed by Cosworth was factory fitted.
I have the Factory Hi-performance Manual for that particular motor and could send a photocopy of it too you if that helps.

·
Super Moderator
13,874 Posts
If it's a Vega/Cosworth engine originally, it's called a Cosworth 'EAA'. Rated at 140 HP in street form, it's capable of about 275 hp for racing use (at a high cost!).

Here's a link to some Cosworth nomenclature:

http://www.race-cars.com/utility/coswrthr.htm

Note there are a few Opel/Cosworth ventures mentioned as well!

HTH,
Bob

·
352 Posts
Three years ago I owned '75 Cosworth Vega #1625.
Stock CV eng. is a destroked (to 2L) Chevy Vega block (aluminum)... matched up w/a 16v Cosworth head assy... and EFI (computer is size of a VCR!).

I don't recall stock HP rating... it was pretty tame ('75 emission standards)... but sure could wind high! Understand that changing to carbs and adding adjustable cam gears helps a lot. It was a fun car to drive... short steering, posi, 4whl disc. It was NOT fun to source parts -or- adjust/shim valve lash in that head!

I've thought about that rear end, as a donor for posi and disc brakes into an Opel. (there, now it's an Opel related post ;) )

When approved, here's some eng. pics of #1625.

-Dan

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,874 Posts
OrangPeEL said:
I don't recall stock HP rating... it was pretty tame ('75 emission standards)... but sure could wind high!
I read a pretty neat article a few years ago about the development woes of the Cosworth Vega. It really boiled down to the wrong car at the wrong time. I guess a test 'mule' was built and some of the GM corporate staff were asked to try the car out. They absolutely loved the car's performance, and gave it the greenlight. The only potential issues were the fact that the car was substantially faster than a Corvette of the same vintage, and the pending emissions legislations.

I guess the car started with about 210-220 hp (detuned from a racing spec of 275 hp). The first thing to go was the twin 48 DCOE Webers....then tamer cams, then lower compression, then an air pump and catalytic converter, etc. By the end of the initial development cycle it had lost about 80 hp and most of it's technical innovations were a moot point. It didn't help that the first test cars failed the 50,000 mile emissions certifications, and they had to go back and start from scratch, which added another year to the release date.

·
352 Posts
RallyBob said:
The only potential issues were the fact that the car was substantially faster than a Corvette of the same vintage, and the pending emissions legislations.
... and the full circle comparison: when the final (emissionized/detuned) product was available in the showroom... it was only a few hundred bucks less than the Vette parked next to it! :eek:

Bet it was kinda tough for those salesmen to cure a mid-life crises... with a Vega! :D

-Dan

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts