Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ignition systems

I just today "aquired" a almost brand new Crane Cams FireBall Hi-6 ignition controller. Basically it's the same as the MSD 6-AL, with the rev limiter. The price was very right, at $0, and I figured the rev limiter would come in handy someday when I get everything working great.

My question is this: Has anyone here used either the Crane or the MSD unit, and would a mostly stock motor get enough out of it to justify putting it in? The literature seems to indicate that it's the cat's meow, but I'm a bit of a skeptic, especially when I can't take it apart and look inside.

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
I have a HI-6 on my motor but can't comment on it's usefullness on a stock motor. I have had a few problems however. It overheats the resistor built into the rotor. I had to remove the resistor and use a piece of wire instead. It has also been eroding the plastic around the tip of my rotor. I don't recall if it's the leading or trailing edge. I'll show it to you on Saturday...

-Travis

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
Used to run one on our asphalt circle-track Opel. Ran up to 9400 rpms regularly. It definitely kicked butt.

One problem, it melts the resistor in the Opel's ignition rotor at idle speeds. We removed the epoxy, and soldered in a solid piece of brass. Much better....

Bob

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
I am using a crane xr700 and I have noticed both my resistor wire getting very hot and I have had rotor damage.

I think the resistor wire has gotten hot enough to melt a couple of other wires that it is bundled with and has caused some of the shorts that I am currently fighting.

Travis said he used replaced the resistor wire with a wire. What kind of wire should I use?

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
calvin,

I think we're talking about two different things. You're refering to the the resistor wire inline with the coil, correct? I was refering to the resistor built into the ignition rotor.

-Travis

1 - 6 of 6 Posts