Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Opel Junkie
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all.

i was recently in need of a replacement crank pulley...the one i had was mangled and it wobbled to beat the band. i got a replacement from ksgt in lane, kansas, but it turns out that the one he had doesn't work on my car. it has two sheaves, instead of the one sheave that i need.

is this a pulley out of an a/c car? must be, unless there are power steering or air pump options on these cars.

anyway, i guess i need another pulley. the one i am looking for is a single sheave. the one i have looks like stamped steel and spot welded together. can anyone help me??

thanks

mike

·
9,642 Posts
Mike;
I have one, for sure, but, might be using it on my Wife's Sportwagon. It originally had a/c and most of it was removed before I bought it. I might have another one on a spare motor at my Mom's, but, it'll be this weekend before I can check.

·
Banned
3,841 Posts
If it were me i would look at the spacing. If it was right I'd use it. I'm not aware of any reason you have to have a belt there.

·
Opel Junkie
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
spacing

i guess i should have mentioned this...the problem with the 2 sheaves is the spacing. the smaller second sheave pushes the main sheave forward about 1/2", enough to make alignment impossible. the single sheave model is the one i need for correct spacing.

mike

·
1,791 Posts
fan

The AC pulley sticks so far out that it hits the back edge of the fan. Unfortunatly there is no good way to move the fan as a spacer would push it into the radiator. Some models, like my Kadett, used regular fans with the back edge of each blade trimmed for clearance, and others used a different fan alltogether.

·
5,294 Posts
Re: crank pulley . . . 2 known twin pulley types

mjewell said:
hello all.

i was recently in need of a replacement crank pulley...the one i had was mangled and it wobbled to beat the band. i got a replacement from ksgt in lane, kansas, but it turns out that the one he had doesn't work on my car. it has two sheaves, instead of the one sheave that i need.

is this a pulley out of an a/c car? must be, unless there are power steering or air pump options on these cars.

anyway, i guess i need another pulley. the one i am looking for is a single sheave. the one i have looks like stamped steel and spot welded together. can anyone help me??

thanks

mike
There were two types of twin crank pulleys used, one for dealer-installed A/C, both pulleys the same diameter, and one from the factory for a smog air pump, front pulley is the same size as single pulley and drives WP and alternator while rear pulley is smaller and drives smog pump on passenger side of engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts