Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to tell if the crankshaft is in need of machining, I'm having trouble finding a machine shop in my area, now as you can see there is slight burning or scaring, and it is important to note that on that section of the crank the bearing tore apart. I'm just wondering a good way to tell if it needs help or not
Fixture Gas Household hardware Metal Auto part

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Rim

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also another note that journal is the worst looking one, and it is the journal where the rod seized

·
Registered
651 Posts
Opel cranks are pretty tough. I think you would be better buying a good used one. Just my 2 cents.

·
1,750 Posts
Repair it correctly or stop.
Need better photos and complete info. .... model year and photos of the rods etc.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I would first have it measured....to determine if it is standard or turned down to a smaller size already...also the measurements and bearings are in metric sizes. Good crankshafts are not expensive...there are lots of em around... If you can find a standard size all you will need is to have it polished (.002" undersized)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would first have it measured....to determine if it is standard or turned down to a smaller size already...also the measurements and bearings are in metric sizes. Good crankshafts are not expensive...there are lots of em around... If you can find a standard size all you will need is to have it polished (.002" undersized)
I will try it. Thanks!

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
494 Posts
My machinist tells me that the bottom end of an Opel is very much like a Chevy. So a google search in your area turned up: Performance Automotive Machine in Idaho Falls, Workland Automotive Machine in Boise or Moffitt & Bratton Automotive Machine Shop also in Boise. You may also check with Opel GT Source or Opels Unlimited in California for reconditioned Crankshaft. I hope this is of some help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts