Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Ging's husband here. I just have a quick question but maybe a long explanation. We are removing the crankshaft from 'her' 70 GT (1.9 L) to have it polished and install new bearings. The manual states that I must remove the head in order to remove the timing chain. Is that really necessary? Could I just remove the timing chain and sprocket from the crankshaft and leave all the other pieces in place? I have, at this point, not removed the timing chain cover.
Another question. The 'serrated drive' used to remove the camshaft timing sprocket does not seem to be the same as the 'star bit' drivers available at the local auto parts store. The set I bought today have a cross section of a six (6) pointed star. The closest fit was (I think) T45 and still I couldn't loosen them without it slipping. The bolts I am to remove have more 'points'. Is this a tool I need to get from a dealer or a specialty tool store? The manual does list a part number for the tool but this is after all a 34 year old book. This is my main motivation for the first question. Is it necessary to remove the head or can I slip off the chain from the bottom?
AND, if I DO need to remove the head will a T55 driver work as a 12mm serrated driver for removing the head bolts?

Wow, what a mouthful.
The wife says hello to everybody
Thanks
Ging's hubby (aka. Dan)

·
Über Genius
9,375 Posts
It is possible to remove the crank without removing the head. The timing cover will have to be removed though. As far as the star bit goes, it is still a common part for use on older cars. "snap on" tools carries this bit. I told them I needed an 8mm 12 point and they had it for me the next day. I think I have also seen one at Sears. When you reinstall the timing gear, you can use hex head bolts if you would rather.
A trick I used was to use an allen thet I had to tap into the bolt and vice grips on the bolt its self and turned both at the same time. Then I reinstalled using hex bolts instead of the funky 12 point bolts.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Dan, I would strongly suggest using the correct tool for the bolts. Once they get stripped out, they are a real pain to get removed, moreso for the head bolts because some are recessed. The tools are not that expensive, contrary to an e-bay auction where the winning bid was over $36. HTH.

Ron

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
crank

Dan;
I'm down the road from y'all in Snellville, I found a set of the 4 star bits at a local parts house, Auto Zone, I think. But, a tip here, once you get the 3 bolts off the cam gear, if that's what you're doing, replace those 3 bolts with the more common 6 point socket head cap screws, or better yet, a hex cap screw, and you won't have to worry about stripping out those things again.
Gene

·
587 Posts
Dan,

Ron & Gene are right. Buy The correct 12 point tools. Most local auto parts places have them packaged with all 4 sizes for around $12. The 12mm is used for the Head Bolts, 10mm is for the Rotor to Hub Bolts & the 8mm for the 3 Timing Gear Bolts.I can't remeber if the 6mm is used on the Opels.

Tom C.

·
Opeler
160 Posts
Dan,
You might find you need the 6MM one also. I seem to remember that the oil pickup tube in the 1.9 is fastened with them. The tools seem fairly available at least a couple of years back. They used these bolts on Pinto's from what I've been told.

BD

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
namba209 said:
Dan, I would strongly suggest using the correct tool for the bolts. Once they get stripped out, they are a real pain to get removed, moreso for the head bolts because some are recessed. The tools are not that expensive, contrary to an e-bay auction where the winning bid was over $36. HTH.

Ron
Guilty - it was me that bought them! Trying to remove my first Opel GT head.
Wandered about locally for two days from one tool suplier to another and found plenty of short, socket set type items but could only find one shop who said the could get me the long ones - for $20 each and 2 to 4 months delivery. Then they turn up on E-Bay 4 to 10 days away by air mail and with a bit of persuading he will export! Like I am not interested :p

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
GT Jim, all you had to do was ask anyone on this site and I'm sure one of us would be more than happy to purchase and airmail them to you. That's what this site is all about, helping Opel owners.

Ron

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Thanks Ron, I am well aware how helpful you all are - but they were there and panic set in ... story of my life of addiction to EBay & Opels

I suffer from EBayitis as well as Opelitis - hopeless case I am afraid :eek:

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Don't feel too bad Jim, I've been known to go "Looney Toons" on occasion with a e-bay item, "I just had to have". As a matter of fact I'm looking at a couple of items right now that I'd like to have to pretty up the GT. :cool:

Ron

1 - 10 of 10 Posts