Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen crankshaft scrapers for our Opels on ebay. They claim to produce more power for our little 1.9's...What is the deal with this device? Anyone out there using such an upgrade?? Inquiring minds want to know!!!

·
boomerang opeler
5,648 Posts
try a search for windage trays for more info

the job this thing dose is to literaly pull oil of the crank as it spins and allow it to drop back into the sump
thay do not make power as such but they release power that is used to move the exrta weight on the crank and they help stop the oil going to a froth in the sump at high revs which reduces the efficiency of the oil

·
137 Posts
I asked a local engine builder (who does everything from restoration to race engines) about the scraper listed on ebay. He said they are use primarily on racing engines ... that he couldn't make one for $50.00 ... that correct fitting is the main issue. I bought one for him to installed on my 1.9 ~> 2.4 conversion engine during assembly. I'll let you know how it fits and performs when it's assembled and running.

Ken

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
no

The added thickness of both the scraper and the extra sealant/ gasket it will require to bolt in will most likely make it so the rubber seals in the ends of the oil pan will not seal properly. In fact, I can almost guarentee they won't seal right. Even if the crank scraper works great, this will make it a rather large PIA.

That said, the scraper is almost cheap enough to buy and trim or bend it to weld to the inside of the oil pan, if you have a steel oil pan. That much work to make someone elses idea sort of work, though.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts