Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
vit.guimaraes
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On 1970 Opel homolgated a cross flow head on 1.9L CIH 8 valves engine, this can be checked on Opel Gr.2 F.I.A homolgations. Walter Rohl was world rally champion with a engine like that.
I've never seen a cross flow head for this engine but if sameone has photos or know something about let us know too...

·
Super Moderator
13,483 Posts
That head was never used in production cars, it was made for competition use only (race and rally). Irmscher used it for rally with the Ascona A, and it had between 190-210 hp. Conrero used it later for the Group 4 Opel GT for racing, and it made 220-230 hp with mechanical fuel injection.

Attachments

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
In a Kadett & Later Ascona 400

Here is a pic of the early Kadett SOHC Rally conversion and the later Ascona 400 DOHC conversion - both done on CIH blocks.
The original Experimental prototypes used a SOHC motor for high speed testing too.

Attachments

·
vit.guimaraes
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does it still exist

Could you send those pictures to my mail post, PLEASE!!!

Does it (cross flow head) still exist?

Who can make them again. Even expensive there must be a market for it, I'm sure.
We have on Portugal, as all over the europe, classic cars rallies and circuit championships. Opel are not the most competitive cars and one of the reasons are exactly the engine head, if we can find those heads we be able to beat FORD PINTO and even BMW 2002.
Of course SIDE THROTLE INJECTION will be also important.

If anyone has one to sell I'm really interested in...

·
boomerang opeler
5,629 Posts
the heads are as rear as rocky horse droppings with a hens tooth on top
an easyer wat to go is to get a 24 valve head from the later 3 litre engines and have the rear 2 cylinders cut off
a search of the performance forum should turn up some info on it

btw to save a photo from the site right click on the photo when opened in its own page and save to file

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
vit.guimaraes said:
Does it (cross flow head) still exist?
Who can make them again. Even expensive there must be a market for it, I'm sure. If anyone has one to sell I'm really interested in...
Too Late! You think that Opelers have not been searching for these heads for YEARS? !!

An alternative is to use the front four cylinders of a 1991-94 Opel Omega/Carlton/Senator 24 valve cylinder head off their 3.0 Litre 24 valve six-cylinder motors.

Look at: http://www.opelgt.com/forums/93053-post4.html

Irmscher used to have complete motors available in Germany. See pic.
... about E25,000 should get you close to one!

To save these pictures just mouse 'click' on the thumbnail (tiny pic) and a bigger one will appear. The look in the upper LH corner and see the Windows operating system 'save' Ikons.
Mouse 'click' on the LH black square ( It is a floppy disck - for save to disc) or on the printer Ikon next to it to print the picture. HTH

I will leave it to you to seach this site for "DOHC Head" or "24v Head" or "16v Head"
A seach of the www for "Irmscher" and "Opel Rear Power Team" might turn up a bit more info for you - Even German EBay is worth a look as these cut down 24v heads do turn up from time to time ......we can only do so much to spoon feed you! Good Luck!

Attachments

·
vit.guimaraes
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
8 valves cross flow head

what i'm looking for is the 8 valves cross flow head. Do they still exist?
Does anyone know someone that still have an engine with one?

Thanks for the coloboration and for sharing your knowledge with us.

·
942 Posts
vit.guimaraes said:
what i'm looking for is the 8 valves cross flow head. Do they still exist?
Does anyone know someone that still have an engine with one?

Thanks for the coloboration and for sharing your knowledge with us.
yes U. Gerent works on this cross-flow "querstrom" head,
he even works on the 6 cylinder version,
already 250hp with the 4 cylinder 2.0 one:
http://www.gerent-motorsport.de/page2.htm

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Hey Jim, could you dig a little further in your magazine archives and come up with an article that would convince someone that there was indeed a special limited edition GT that came stock with the DOHC 16V 1.9L engine?:D
Then I'd get started on one right away... I heard that there are a couple 3.0 heads available, not too far away. :yup:

·
1970-GT
1,242 Posts
1967 Gt?

Jeff, not many people know this, but in 1967 the production GT had a 2.4, 12:1 compression, 16 valve cross flow head, dual Webers, a six speed close ratio transmission, posi rear end, fully adjustable suspension.......
Now if I can just find that article, pretty sure I read about it.....somewhere.

Build what ever you want, if you win and they catch you, sell it to me for my street GT.
Or just become the track tech guy!
:lmao:
That is an amazing looking head and it will fit!
I have another block all it needs is a 16 valve head!!!
Lyle

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Regular Production Option ...

Tru-Craft said:
Jeff, not many people know this, but in 1967 the production GT had a 2.4, 12:1 compression, 16 valve cross flow head, dual Webers, a six speed close ratio transmission, posi rear end, fully adjustable suspension.......Lyle
GM Opel RPO 007 - licensed to "KILL" Ponys:D

·
Certified Opelholic
1,461 Posts
i have a friend that keeps saying we should stop wasting our time with Roller this and roller that and come up with a DOHC head for the CIH opel motor

sort of like the MG's have found this site and it looks like they make all kinds of stuff

http://www.pbseng.com/SplProducts.html

just need to win the powerball

Davegt27

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
jeff denton said:
So, here we go again, who out there knows how to cast and pour aluminum?
Ummmmm - I hesitate to mention this - but I spent the last 9 years of my life working at Hamilton Jet right next to the Ali Foundry producing and machining Hyper-eutectic ali castings .... for their Water Jet boat propulsion units. Till October last year when they decided that skilled Tradesmen/Machinists were too expensive and I was made 'repugnant' along with 22 others. Hamilton's are beginning to understand the cost difference between "Skill with Experience" and "Ignorance" at the moment - seems unskilled Temporary workers are even MORE expensive! :haha:

AND - a couple of Kiwi guys from Auckland just bought the entire setup and licence for producing alloy Chevy V8 cylinder heads - I will see if the article in NZ Hot Rod Magazine is still laying around ....... being "Good Kiwi Blokes" I am sure they would be up to the challenge (as long as an avalanche of money was poured in their direction!).

·
Certified Opelholic
1,461 Posts
before the Euro a complete Risse motor was like $10,000 now the complete DOHCIH motor is like $20,000 US

not sure on how much a head

davegt27

1 - 20 of 61 Posts