Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Vendor
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I replaced my master cylinder, I may have X-threaded the front brake pipe fitting at the banjo fitting. It seems to be seeping a little, and I don't think I want to tighten it any more. Do I need to replace the brake line and banjo fitting? If so, can I use the aftermarket lines from NAPA, etc. that are already cut and flared? How about replacing the banjo fitting? Didn't see any listed on OGTS. Anyone have a junk MC that they can spare?

Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Ron, what you can do is remove the banjo fitting from the MC and the line and check out the threads. If they appear to be o.k. you can put the fitting on the line with teflon tape and run it down finger tight, install the banjo fitting on the MC, then tighten both and check for leaks. I'm not sure if the threads on the MC are metric or SAE, one way to double check is take the banjo fitting to the parts store for a comparison. HTH.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
just to let u all no i had a mc one time that the main piece that comes out of the mc to the lines had a crack in it u couldnt tell the crack was there until u polished it then it was very clear that it had a crack so i had to get a new one to keep my fault switch from tripping in the mc and to stop the small leak.

Attachments

·
Vendor
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still Brake-dancing...

The MC is new (or at least remanufactured) but the banjos are original. I will check for flaws. It definitely appears to be leaking from the threads at the brake pipe to banjo connection. I tried the ribbon dope trick, but it still is seeping (I must have really buggered the fitting :eek: ) How difficult is it to replace the front brake pipe? It looks like it runs along the radiator,,,where do you disconnect the other end?
Thanks, Ron

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
the front fitting is for one of the front two calipers, the rear fitting is for the rear brakes.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Ron, I hate to say this, but with the banjo fitting being brass or copper and the flare fitting being steel, you could have stripped or cross threaded the threads in the banjo fitting rather than the flare fitting. I hope not. That line goes behind and below the radiator comes up the right fender and through it to the hose fitting for the right front brake. There are two soft metal wraps just under the edge of the radiator lower sheetmetal on either side that hold the line in place. HTH.

·
Vendor
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Banjo woes

Hi Ron,
Yes, I am assuming that I will need to replace the brass banjo fitting. Just not sure exactly where to turn one up. Anyone out there who can help a brother down on his luck?
I'd like to get this thing back on the road in time for Paul's show in Colfax
(http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4073)
I have a running '73 GT that is mid-restoration, but I hesitate to start yanking parts off that one (especially after I bodged up the '70!)
Thanks,
Ron in Indy

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Ron, i will look, i know i have a couple MCs, hopefully one still has the banjo fittings and the square headed nuts. i'll let you know later tonight or int he morning, i plan on going to that show and i'd love to see yet another Opel there.

·
Vendor
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dueling banjos?

Hi Grant,
Yes, those appear to be the same fittings. Were they all from GT 1.9 master cylinders? I think they used the same fittings for all years? Anyway, if you or Jared have one that you can part with, I'll be happy to compensate you for whatever you think it's worth.
BTW Jared - glad to hear that you are going to the show in Colfax. How far is that for you?
Ron in Indy

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
not sure how far, dont really matter to me. i'm an hour from indiana boarder tho....lol

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Yes those are all off of Opels, PM me an address and I'll send you one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts