Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help. I am finally going to the DMV to transfer my title to VA instead of CA. I know VA DMV needs to know the curb weight of my Ascona, and last time I went thru this they didn't have records that went back so far. I dont want to estimate. I prefer to have the exact number from the factory. It is a 1975 2dr Ascona with automatic transmission. I know some of the original sales literature had these numbers but I don't know what I did with them.

Thanks in advance
Joe

·
Super Moderator
9,754 Posts
For a 72 model, it's 2127 lbs fudge it a little more for the big bumpers and little extras, say, 2300lbs

·
Super Moderator
13,874 Posts
If you still have the GVWR decals on the car (door or glove box), subtract the maximum load from the GVWR to get the dry weight.

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is something else of interest. Since it is a california car, it's heavier. They had to put that catalytic converter in there and all the associated emissions garbage. I looked closely at it underneath, and it looks like GM just hammered in the floor board so that that the catalytic converter wouldn't have clearance issues.

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By the way, for 1975, the Ascona was the true sleeper of the Opels. It was lighter than the Manta even.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
jpavlack said:
I looked closely at it underneath, and it looks like GM just hammered in the floor board so that that the catalytic converter wouldn't have clearance issues.
welcome to the wonderfull world of GM engineering :D

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK I found it. according to a 1975 Buick brochure the curb weights are as follows:
Sportwagon- 2276 lbs
Manta - 2232 lbs
1900 Sedan - 2203 lbs.
Of course I'll have to add 19 lbs for the CA "package" and another 45 lbs for the automatic transmission.

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
California Ascona

Hey Joe - My 75 wagon was a California car too and I wasn't aware of the catalytic converter mods until Bill Hoffman pointed it out to me at Carlisle this year. The other odd change was the passenger seat frame. The frame was bent and formed to accomodate the bulge in the floor for the catalytic converter. Nice to know there's at least one other 75 Ascona in Virginia. Got any photos?? I'm hoping to have mine finished for Carlisle 05. I bought it from the original owner up near Fort Belvoir with 45,000 original miles. As we speak, I'm welding in the repair patch panels for the battery box & firewall area that Charles Goin has reproduced. (are ya lisnin' Charles!?) I'm almost done!! This car will be my daily driver once it's finished.

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would really like to take the car up to Carlisle but realistically I don't think it will happen. Too much to do on it to give me piece of mind and don't have the funds right now. I got pictures of it in the members album section. It will hopefully be getting the motor I have in my basement next year. A custom built performance motor built by the late Tom Thevenin. Should be real interesting with the auto transmission. In any case I'm sure I'll be at Carlisle, just not the Opel.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Th-180

jpavlack said:
I would really like to take the car up to Carlisle but realistically I don't think it will happen. Too much to do on it to give me piece of mind and don't have the funds right now. I got pictures of it in the members album section. It will hopefully be getting the motor I have in my basement next year. A custom built performance motor built by the late Tom Thevenin. Should be real interesting with the auto transmission. In any case I'm sure I'll be at Carlisle, just not the Opel.
Based on my '69 Kadett 1.9 A/T experience, don't think you'll have any durability issues with the TH-180. I'm always a bit surprised how really peppy this little car is, even with a "bone stock" Solex-ed 1.9. Very nice, crisp shifts on mine and the ONLY real downside is the non-lockup torque converter, IMO.

If I can ever locate an original air cleaner for my twin DFO downdraft manifold, I'll use that with a "sprint" exhaust. Now THAT would really be something. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
13,874 Posts
tekenaar said:
If I can ever locate an original air cleaner for my twin DFO downdraft manifold, I'll use that with a "sprint" exhaust. Now THAT would really be something. :eek:
Those things are apparently real hard to find, most have been tossed out long ago. This is the only real good pic I have of an installed air filter (I have a factory service manual for the Rekord Sprint and it doesn't have very good pics). Pretty damn big air filter! I'm driving out to the OMC picnic next year with my '71 Ascona wagon, hopefully with a 2.4 shortblock, 1.7 head, and twin 40 mm downdrafts on a Sprint intake. I'll just fabricate a custom air filter housing to mimic the OEM unit.

RE using an automatic with a performance engine....it'll take the power just fine. Make sure you change the oil and filter, and upgrade to a larger external ATF oil cooler. Performance off the line will be a bit soggy, especially with a performance cam, but otherwise it'll do okay.

Attachments

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
Nice

Nice looking Ascona!! Mine is Cignal Yellow and has a long way to go before the finish looks as good as yours. The finish is recoverable but it sat outside for many years and is oxidized. Mine is also an automatic but I'm welding in the sheet metal adapter for the clutch cable during my firewall repair job. With only 45,000 miles...the motor is real tight and I look forward to putting a manual trans behind it. It also has A/C which will make it a good DD in the summer months. I had the dealer option stripes reproduced and I was able to get a one-piece Kamei air dam from Germany for it. With these additions, some 205/60's and chrome trim rings on repainted factory wheels...I think it will look quite nice.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
RBob's picture . . . fuel filter

RallyBob said:
Those things are apparently real hard to find, most have been tossed out long ago. This is the only real good pic I have of an installed air filter (I have a factory service manual for the Rekord Sprint and it doesn't have very good pics). Pretty damn big air filter! I'm driving out to the OMC picnic next year with my '71 Ascona wagon, hopefully with a 2.4 shortblock, 1.7 head, and twin 40 mm downdrafts on a Sprint intake. I'll just fabricate a custom air filter housing to mimic the OEM unit.

RE using an automatic with a performance engine....it'll take the power just fine. Make sure you change the oil and filter, and upgrade to a larger external ATF oil cooler. Performance off the line will be a bit soggy, especially with a performance cam, but otherwise it'll do okay.
Yep, been looking for over two years with one nibble, but no bites. I'm not going to do it without the air filter, so it may never happen. Haven't lost ALL hope though . . . you just never know with Opels. :rolleyes:

I found it interesting to see that Opel used a clear plastic fuel filter, clearly shown in RBob's magazine photo of the engine bay with the air filter mounted and which I've been urging the use of for some time now. Opel must also have been concerned with the radiant heat absorbtion of the "metal can" fuel filters.

BTW, here's another pic of the air cleaner . . . almost got this one:

Attachments

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bob,
You mentioned to upgrade to an external tranny cooler. Do you mean to do away with the stock cooler all together or to run an external cooler in addition to the stock one?

·
Super Moderator
13,874 Posts
jpavlack said:
Bob,
You mentioned to upgrade to an external tranny cooler. Do you mean to do away with the stock cooler all together or to run an external cooler in addition to the stock one?
I prefer to eliminate the OEM cooler...all it does is heat up the coolant temp! Now if you drive your Opel in the winter, it's a nice feature as the car heats up faster. But for transmission longevity, I prefer to keep the ATF as cool as possible.

Bob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts