Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

· 1970-GT
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Too much free time?
I wanted to improve the looks of the aftermarket Weber air cleaner for my GT, and came up with this design. I programmed and CNC machined it from an AL plate. The ribs match the Opel valve cover and the LOGO looks cool! It was beadblasted and the top sanded. I'm going to paint it red and sand the top to bare AL, should look great.:cool:
Lyle

Attachments

· Senior Contributor
5,199 Posts
That is my kind of stuff - absolutely stunning. In other words I like it.:D

· OPEL-LESS!!!
2,111 Posts
that is amazing, great work!

· 1970-GT
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the praise. It's nice to here something positive for a change. Divorced and no girl friend, so I have time to play with my favorite car....my GT! Oh by the way the ex didn't want the GT, thank God!!
I have a machine shop and make medical parts for other companies.
If you guys want me to make some let me know. I will make a fixture to hold them if there is enough interest. Once I'm setup I can run a bunch.
Any thoughts on holding the cover to the carb?
I was going to use a 2 standoffs. One end goes in the carb base and the top drilled and tapped for a flat head or button head?
Lyle

· Pathologic Opeler
1,956 Posts
dam good

dam nice and dam good!:)

· Super Moderator
15,246 Posts
Not to nit-pick, but did you notice the Blitz emblem was backwards? It just looks (aesthetically) a bit odd.

In terms of execution though, it looks very impressive indeed. Nice job!

· Kick a little asphalt
1,485 Posts
I was waiting for someone to point that out. At first, I thought the image was backward until I looked at the photo of it on the engine and saw the "Opel" on the valve cover was correct. Like Bob said, Otherwise it's very nice!

Duane

· 1970-GT
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, on my "LOGO" the outer line is angled not the bottom, good eye guys!
But, its not an Opel blitz! If I make them to look just like a blitz will it be a copyright problem?
I have it programmed 3 ways. As shown, like the blitz with angled lines and all straight lines like the GT gas cap.
I'm cutting one like the blitz as we speak.
What is the thought on copyright laws????
Lyle

88 Posts
Very Nice!

When you get set up and have a price let me know. As far as attachment, I like the arrangement you had with two screws thru the orig carb drillings (did you plug the other two?).

Copyrights are technically a problem, and if you were to make them for general sale you should probably obtain permission (and they could request a licensing fee). But if you vary a bit like you did, you're usually OK. Now if you start a bit business out of this you should obtain licensing/permission or consult a copyright attorney to be certain that your 'variation' is safe. Theres also a lot of information on the web about how copyrights work, and even some do-it-yourself filing sites.

· 1970-GT
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey I was looking at the "LOGO", its not a blitz! I think it is correct as machined. Its just rotated at an angle to the ribs. If you look at the picture and rotate the LOGO CCW it will look correct! The 2 outer lines are parrallel. Optical illusion????:rolleyes:
I will have another cover ready soon, rotated CCW and 2 other ribs added.
I only used 2 screws to attach and it does need a standoff or tube to support the cover. Cant find a 6mm bolt long enough to go into the carb base, needs to be 3" long! I made a couple standoffs. works good.
What if I only sold to family, close friends and club members?:D

· 1970-GT
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bob, did you mean the LOGO needs to be rotated 90 degrees to match the front nose emblem? OH I see say's the blind man!!
I did it so the logo was facing you while standing next to the car. Also the ribs and lightning bolt run the same direction as the valve cover ribs.
Thats another idea to rotate to face front!
If I make some for others how does everyone want them?????

· boomerang opeler
5,661 Posts
lyle what bob means is the blitz logo runs from left along the top ,cuts back to the left from right of centre then runs out lower on the right (like a z )
yours runs left lower cuts back and leaves upper right ( _\- ish )

· Vendor
2,464 Posts
I think what they meant by backwards is that the blitz emblem is like a "Z", whereas your emblem is more like a " __\ˉˉ " (pardon the cruddy ascii art).

1 - 20 of 161 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.