Opel GT Forum banner

Custom CNC air cleaner top!

20K views 160 replies 45 participants last post by  Tru-Craft 
#1 ·
Too much free time?
I wanted to improve the looks of the aftermarket Weber air cleaner for my GT, and came up with this design. I programmed and CNC machined it from an AL plate. The ribs match the Opel valve cover and the LOGO looks cool! It was beadblasted and the top sanded. I'm going to paint it red and sand the top to bare AL, should look great.:cool:
Lyle

Attachments

See less See more
#28 ·
OK, since I do have a Weber I guess I can't be the only one without a blitz cover, so throw me into the mix. Blitz like the hood and ribs like the cover.

#29 ·
Ok, hot off the CNC the new design:) The "LOGO" has been turned 90 degrees and is like a forward Z.
A little more machining because more of the ribs end at the LOGO, but it looks good.
I was thinking about clearcoat anodizing them, lot charge is about $70.
Still need long metric screws, button head or oval head stainless would look great!

Attachments

#30 ·
That looks really nice. I bet you will sell a bunch of them.
For the bolts, a neat "twist" would be to use the funny "splined" head bolts, like the ones that attach the upper cam sprocket to the camshaft. I think the same ones are found holding the torque tube to the differential housing. And the fuel pump bolts, as I recall.
Another neat thing you could easily knock out with your skills and equipment would be the fuel pump block off plate. Every now and then somebody here needs one.
And how about a head side plate? And the front plate, complete with adjustable cam thrust bolt. These are highly visible on a GT, some custom billet ones would be a hit.
I admire your handiwork. Wanna join a racing team?:D

#31 ·
Hey Jeff good ideas! The blockoff plates would look great and the ajustable cam bolt!
Not sure if I want to sell to the public!? I'm a machinist not a salesman. Taking orders, packing and shipping.......takes more time for me than making them! As machinists say; "If your not making chips your not making money"!
Emailed Gil about the covers tonight,see what he has to say. If we do it as a group order the price will stay low.
Keep are Opels affordable, but looking Good:cool:
Jeff if you were closer I'd help you with the race car! Bob would be a better choice!
I help a local kid with his racing Go-Kart and race once in awhile myself.

#32 ·
I like your newest one a lot! As for holding it down, what about just making it a hair bigger and using those little chrome clips that come with the Weber filter? Mine came with 6 and clips it around the edges. You can also avoid all the holes that way.

#34 ·
asdasc, that was my original plan. But because the cover is AL it would get scratched and I would have to machine slots to hold the clips in place and a step on the bottom to keep it centered.
My cover drops into the the step in the filter to keep it centered. The bolts wont be bad if we can find the right length and look we want!

#35 ·
Very nice job Tru-Craft. Even though I don't even have any Opels with a downdraft carb anymore, I'd like to get one of these. I mean, it's just too cool looking to not buy one! I'll find a car to put it on, even if I have to buy another....

Bob

#36 ·
Thanks for the compliment Bob. I have always respected the way you have supported the Opel owners over the years, and of course your mechanical ability & inventiveness!
Glad you chose the Opel to play with.
I'll send you one for the help you game me over the years, hang it on the wall!
Lyle
I want to use standoffs to mount the cover but cant find any that will work. I dont want to make them!!!
any thoughts?
Lyle

#37 ·
Lyle, a couple of thoughts come to mind. On my old Willit? engine with the Weber there were 4 common head screws that went through the cover and screwed into the base plate of the cleaner adapter plate. Problem there was nothing for the screws to hold down, as you tightened them up they would deform the filter. I used the hollow spacers that are used on rain gutter nails initially, just cut them to the correct length, then found some stainless tubing and used that. You could use some #5 screws for you application with washers and lock washers, remembering there is not a lot of torque needed to just hold the cover in place. HTH.

#38 ·
jeff denton said:
Another neat thing you could easily knock out with your skills and equipment would be the fuel pump block off plate. Every now and then somebody here needs one.
I actually used to have one of those, I don't know who it was made by but it was AL and had the Blitz machined into it. I sold it on ebay a few years ago but now I wish I had another one since I am looking to go back to an electric fuel pump.

#39 ·
BTW - put me down for at least one, I may want two by the time you produce them though.

It would probably be easiest for you to set it up so that people can pay you through pay-pal. It will create the recipts with the shipping address and so forth. And you can keep track of what you have an haven't shipped on there.

JM2C

#40 ·
Tru-Craft said:
I want to use standoffs to mount the cover but cant find any that will work. I dont want to make them!!!
any thoughts?
Lyle
Check with McMaster-Carr. They make electrical standoffs in both conductive and non-conductive types, they might fit the application. Of course it depends on the air filter height chosen, but that's another issue!

Bob

#41 ·
McMaster, no standoffs long enough!
I going to make AL spacers.
I found flat head 6mm Stainless screws x 80mm long but, the head is ugly!
I modified them into a custom oval head on the lathe! Now they look great with the cover!
Will have prices soon!
Lyle

#42 ·
Copy Right!

As long as you copy the "Blitz" right how can Opel complain? After all they have sort of abandoned the U.S. market - and imitation IS the sincerest form of flattery!
Nice work - see how Opelitis can take over your business - your every waking moment - your dreams - your LIFE !!! :D

#44 ·
I wanted to thank everyone for the positive feedback!:)
I came up with some prices for odering one cover at a time.
Note, that I'm selling only the cover! If you don't already have a Weber down draft air cleaner assembly, you can get one through OGTS. The square K&N filter outside dimensions are 4-3/8 x 6-3/8. The height is 2-1/2 on the one I have but this will affect only the mounting screws and spacers.

* Note that this cover is CNC machined from an Aluminum 6061-T6 plate! not cast! Machined the complex way with a tiny cutter so the LOGO and ribs are raised above the surface (see picture) over 200 lines of G-code!:eek:

I can offer the covers a few ways:
1) Just the cover with (2) 3/16 diameter counter sunk holes, beadblast finish and the raised LOGO and ribs sanded. No mounting hardware.
Great if you want to paint the cover to match your car, and have your own way to mount it. I would recommend spacers or standoffs to support the cover and hold the air cleaner base down.
Price ($41.00).

2) The same cover as above with (2) 6mm diameter counter sunk holes and mounting hardware; AL spacers and custom metric stainless oval allen head bolts! Looks great with the stainless bolts and painted to match your car! Or keep it bare AL! or black anodized?
Price ($47.00).

3) The same as (#2) with the addition of Clear Anodizing (Type-2, Class-1),
will keep the cover from oxidizing and protects finish!
Great match for the stock valve cover!
Price ($51.00). Need to Anodize about (25) covers at a time for this price.

For members of OpelGT.com shipping will be actual cost plus ($1.00) that will be donated to the OpelGT.com site.
Let me know what you think.
Any ideas or thoughts welcome.
Lyle

#45 ·
Lyle,

I'm not a big fan of the exposed air filter on top the carb but your design looks too good not to have one. I'll take one option 2 cover, post or PM me your address and I'll get the funds to you ASAP, area code 28304 if your calculating shipping.

thanks, Brian

#46 ·
I'm in for a #3 or if not enough people want the anodizing I'll go for a #2. Even if I don't use it I just have to have one for my office wall.:)

#47 ·
Hey, your my first customer!:)
I have the material and will start machining on this Thursday when the machine is empty! The hardware is on order. Should have some ready to ship by the end of next week.
I will see what the shipping cost is anywhere in the US. Then it will be one number so I don't have to look up cost each time! The cover and hardware will fit in a padded mailer so thats cheap!
Brian, no money yet, not ready!
But, your on the top of a short list:D

#49 ·
I'll take a #1, I'd like to powdercoat mine and polish the raised surfaces. I'd probably mount it with studs rather than screws, so no hardware is needed.

#50 ·
Bob, I was thinking about using a 6mm stud with acorn nut, but was concerned it would bottom out if everything wasnt the right length.
If anyone has a cheaper or better way to mount the plate let me know.

Bob I thought you din't have a down draft carb on a Opel, a nail in the wall and your all set!:D
Give me your address I'll send you one for helping me with my GT over the years. By the way I just bought a used 38Dgas what should I..............

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.