Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, I am going to make a custom grill for my opel (with out bumperettes, is that legal?) and I cant figure out a good way to trace it (the stock grill also wont fit) the bumper will be made of coarse expanded metal.

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
r u talking about the mesh below the chrome bummper as you should be able to change that with out much worry
use old ones as template and spot weld some 1/4 by 1/16 steel stock to the edges to reinforce it and give u mounting points
if u have a bad fit then use cardboard to make your template first

·
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mounting isnt a problem or cutting it out, its the actual tracing of the template, I tried printer paper taped together, large masking paper, oak tag. but I cant get a good fit once it is cut out and when I try to modify the paper slighty it gets all choppy. also is it legal for me not to have bumperettes? and will my insurance comp. get on my back.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
well what i say most insurance companys dont no what a stock gt looks like or even at all so if u do a good job they will never even no they were there...and what they dont no wont hurt um'.

·
1971 GT
636 Posts
Jordon - Take a look at my photo section for a front view without the bumperettes. It's never caused me any grief. I cut a custom grill by trimming cardboard until it fit properly and then used at as a template. I didn't weld anything around the perimeter as I could use the existing mounting holes with screws and washers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts