Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
wow, that looks really good...but it is scary how similiar our tastes are, we are both doing high hp, non opel swaps...and 16's or 17's for wheels i presume?....now the killer gas tank filler.

i am putting a filler i had left over from a kawasaki ex500 parts bike. but, i am putting it on the passenger side...what are the odds!?

also i picked up a mitsu eclipse spoiler off a 2nd gen, it looks really good (if you mold it in) and also has the 3rd brake light LED style.

i'll post some pics of my mods soon...jon ;)

·
Opeler
53 Posts
Gas Tank Mod

Mine is going right where the old one was. That way it is accessed from either side. I think there is enough sheet metal around the new cap to form the slight radius to match the body contour.

So what if they are not Opel parts, they fit -- sorta.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,787 Posts
I have a 'pop-open' type from a Triumph Spitfire that will look just fine where the original is. My taste runs more towards 'period' type stuff.

·
Opeler
53 Posts
Gas Cap

Actually, I had considered a gas cap from a TR-7 sitting in the local junkyard. It is recessed nicely and is about 5" in diameter with six lugs to grasp but no lock. It gives a kind of race car flavor to the opening with its size and style. I haven't quite made up my mind which way to go. It would probably only cost me $5-10 at the Pull Your Part misused car emporium, although I already paid my $40 for the Kawasaki lid.
Jaguar Type 2 XJ-6's and others have a really nice heavily chromed flip up locking gas cap that fits in a recess in the fender and might look quite good on the GT, but the filler pipe would have to be rerouted and there might not be enough slope to the filler for efficient fueling.

My motto:
Don't force it -- just use a bigger hammer!

·
Detritus Maximus
2,787 Posts
The Spitfire filler sits above the body, no real modification and the neck is the same size as the GT's. Just need time to do it.

The XJ6 cap I've looked at also, but It seems too big for the GT and would require cutting the car.

A place called 'Demon Tweeks' in the UK has some wonderful vintage racing thru modern stuff in their catalog (how about slotted drums for a Manta A? Or roll cages for a Kadett?) but, they don't show much vintage stuff on the website.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So 19693SGTEOPEL, have you gotten a chance to fininsh up this modification? I know we'd all like to see the final product. I was thinking of doing the same, but wanted to see how it came out for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts