Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
$83.56?

The h-4 conversions are much cheaper than that. When you pick-up a copy of "Hot VW's" to order your Pertronics or Compufire electronic ignition conversion for @$55, just order the headlight conversions at the same time. They run @$8 from most VW suppliers. The ones I got were Hella, too.

·
Administrator
10,291 Posts
19693SGTEOPEL said:
your healight will still function like original and will still roll over too! this just gets rid of the tacky out dated 7" monster. keeping up with new opel technology.
Any idea how well the new lights will stand up to the shock of the headlights opening and closing? Would you need to go to a motorized unit to cushion it?

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
I thought I remember some other people doing this conversion, particularly manny wong(I think I spelled this right), and on that webpage it said something about there was going to be a how to article written about them in the OMC so that you could make your own.

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
19693SGTEOPEL said:

as far as shocking the headlights by flipping them over! first of all i hope your gt lights turn off before they lock into shut position anytime you move a filliment light while its on and shock it you shorten its life period. most gts should still have switches to shut them down.

next the filliment in the 90mm bulbs are more efficient and smaller. less mass compared to the bi filliment in the 7" bulb so less wear and tear and will last longer compared to any other

As far as shocking the filament, I would personally go with a motorized system. You say that the filament is smaller and has less mass than the 7" bulb, to me that means that it is more fragile.

Also you must consider the placement of the 7" bulb, as it rotates the filament stays close to the rotating axis, where as if you were to mount two smaller bulbs further out from the rotating axis, their filaments would be subjected to a seemingly exponential increase in momentum

·
Registered
33 Posts
I cant forsee hurting them unless you flip your headlights like you would roll on the ground when youre on fire.....if youre like me no matter how good something in your gt is you still be easy with it cause unless you replaced it tis' old.. anyway enough from the peanut gallery (i.e me)

·
Registered
35 Posts
hi i have a ? my gt was kinda wrecked when i got it and the lights dont flip over i want to get a custom set on it but i dont want them to flip over can you make a kit to stay up the whole time and whats the total cost for the kit and the hella bulbs and do you have any pics of the kits them selfs

·
Registered
28 Posts
Custom Headlight bucket

Hey guys, sory if this post's twice. I was looking thorugh the omc picnic photos and came across this very cool custom hedlight job. I was wondering 1) whos car it was? 2) how much does it cost to do and 3) is there a kit or set of instuctions out the to do the job on my gt.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,151 Posts
It's Manny Wong's car. He designed the system, it's custom, and all steel. Daniel Gomez (I think?) did the fabrication. The process was discussed in an old issue of the Blitz, OMC's newsletter.

Bob

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oh you're making those headlights.. i thought you were making a headlight bucket that flipped over and was smaller not one the stayed down with lights on top of bucket. I'll have to really think about that then :)

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Another source or lights?

I was looking at my bike today and I really think there is enough room in the headlight bucket to mount a newish pair of motorcycle headlights in each bucket.

Something like this CBR750 one:

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
who knows?

Not that they are much cheaper, but if someone had access to a cycle shop you might be able to get some cool lights. Both of the ones above were on e-bay for less than $40 as well, if you were patient.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts